Here is an information sheet regarding water safety on Ambergris Caye. The goal is to circulate this document to all rental management companies, rental homes and resorts on the south end of the island. We want to be sure that every guest staying on the south end of the island has been made aware of safety tips prior to going in the water. Most resorts and rentals should already have something in place but if they do not this will be a good start at least until an official document can be implemented by either the town or the BTB. We want to be sure that all property owners and managers are aware of the risks to their guests. CLICK HERE for a downloadable PDF of this for printing and posting.... VISITOR / GUEST WATER SAFETY TIPS
Ambergris Caye relies heavily on boats for transportation not only around the island itself but for inter island travel, mainland travel, transportation of cargo and of course tourism. When Swimming or snorkeling on Ambergris Caye pleaseBEWARE OF BOAT TRAFFIC
and follow these safety guidelines:
1) Swim/snorkel between docks and in designated swim areas when available.
2) Do not attempt to swim out to the reef.
3) Consider not wearing jewelry when snorkeling or swimming.
4) If any vessel is heading in your direction signal to make yourself visible.
5) Use a life vest or diver down buoy for visibility when snorkeling or swimming.
6) Touching coral, plant life and dock posts may cause extreme allergic reactions.
7) Always have someone watching when snorkeling or swimming at night.
8) Do not dive from docks as there could be shallow water or obstructions under water.
9) Pay attention to the wind speed and direction when kayaking away from shore.
10) A kayak and/or paddle are useful to make yourself visible while in the water.
11) Your belongings should not be left unattended on the beach or dock.
We want your vacation on Ambergris Caye to be a memorable and enjoyable one so please be safe while exploring our natural wonders.South Ambergris Caye Neighborhood Watch