Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I
OP Offline
I
We're going to be on AC Aug 5-12 and very much want to see the Maya Ruins at Basil Jones. I can find no mention of anyone visiting them for many years (1926).

Does anyone know of a guide who can take us there?

Has anyone seen them?

Rick
I
OP Offline
I
Still need a guide.... anyone?

Open to any ideas!

Rick
Greg Smith lives in the area...and has for about 20 years I think....if I remember our discussion right.

He is very familiar with all aspect of that area. Probably knows right where they are.

Problem is I've lost his email addy.
Will try to find it.
Or if any knows Greg's email addy...please post it.

Thanks!

M
M
You don't need a guide because there's really nothing to see. If you know where the Nova shrimp farm is up the coast, then about half a mile south of it there's a new concrete pier. Go to the pier, get off onto it, walk onto the beach and you'll see a road. That road leads to the old (now somewhat refurbished) Basil Jones airstrip. Walk about a mile to the airstrip, and the highest ground at the airstrip is the site of the former Basil Jones Maya site. You may see a few pieces of pottery and chert (very small pieces). That's about it.

I
OP Offline
I
Thanks Guys!

But, Mazz, it doesn't sound like much is there.

In searching for info I found one reference as follows "a number of low mounds crudely made from local limestone and a network of stone walls" and in another Thomas Gann wrote in 1926 "Several burial mounds were excavated, in which bones were disturbed, the skeletons lying on their backs... and food offerings in pottery receptacles provided for their journey into the next world, indicating the usual method of burial among these people. A second mound was excavated, which had been built over the ruins of a small stone chamber. Nothing was found within it, but beneath the center was discovered a round saucer for burning incense, with a long handle, and a curious figurine in clay, whose face was covered by a peculiar grilled arrangement, more resembling a baseball mask than anything else, which was studded with rosettes."

Do you think this is the same mounds?

Rick
M
M
It doesn't sound like the site. Supposedly there are other sites in the jungle around the airstrip, particularly where the "Stone walls" could be observed. I scoured the jungle two years ago, and never came across the stone walls, although someone told me I was in the right area. Gann must have been referring to a region slightly larger than the Basil Jones airstrip area, or else where I had been told the site was is inaccurate. Perhaps a ride up to the Nova farm might prove helpful to you because that whole area has new roads running through it, and one of the local workers might very well know where the site is. An alternative is to contact someone at the Bacalar Marine Reserve because they've presumably walked every inch of those jungles.

I
OP Offline
I
Thanks Mazz! I have an email sent to greenreef looking for Greg Smith. Maybe he knows about it. But otherwise maybe like you say, some of those working in the area might know.

Still would like to find a guide before we go down.

Rick

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.