Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#419370 10/20/11 07:53 PM
OP Offline
So, are the much-dreaded sand fleas the same thing as we've always referred to in the US as "no-see-ums"?

Either way, whatever they are, all of a sudden they are VERY bad north of the bridge. We've been here since late August and in previous visits in May and August and have never noticed them at all until this past week. The bites seem to itch a lot longer than mosquito bites. Remind me of chiggers...shiver...

How long will they be here? eek frown

Thanks!
Emily

Last edited by BeBelize; 10/20/11 07:54 PM.

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com
cant answer the peak period question Em, but get yourself some allegra or benadryl and hit the itch from the inside and cortisone from the outside., There are a few bug lotions that work but you should ask around locally for whats available there. No sense in telling you what's in the States to bring down. I feel your itch...

I was just noticing yesterday it seems to be the time of year for unusual bug bites. funny when you can tell the seasons by the types of bug bites you have, and yes Bebelize very much like the good ole Southern Chiggers. I try to treat them with the same logic.
Chiggers are like science fiction horror, vomiting stomach acid on your flesh to predigest it before its eaten....anti-social behavior:-0
when the weather drys a little it will pass.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
M
M
We were told to try baby oil and it seems to do some good. Just rub it on your ankles and legs ( where they seem to bite the most ) and off you go.

S
S
The no-see-ums typically "come out biting" every day around dusk all year round. They come right through screens, so we just usually close all windows at this time. But right now, these nasty little guys are biting all day long (as if the skeets were not bad enough - whew!). Avon skin so soft or baby oil does prevent the biting.

Maybe someone else can remind me about beach raking procedure to control them - something about raking too late in the day will stir them up or raking early so the eggs will die from the sun?

Its raking to kill the eggs with the sun.
makes your yard look better also :-)

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Originally Posted by elbert
Its raking to kill the eggs with the sun.
makes your yard look better also :-)

To heck with raking on our bit 'o beach! I'm bringing in my butane weed flamethrower and frying the bastards ...

"God I love the smell of butane in the morning. You know, one time we had our beach torched, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked all over it. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' no see um. The smell, you know that butane smell, the whole beach. Smelled like... victory..."

except I know who wins when the wars over...and it aint me! wink

Please, please - be aware that "north of the bridge" comprises about 20 miles of shoreline.

We live 5 miles north of the bridge and I have not been troubled by sand flies so far this season.

Originally Posted by Bear
.... No sense in telling you what's in the States to bring down....

in more ways than one.....

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Diane Campbell
Please, please - be aware that "north of the bridge" comprises about 20 miles of shoreline.

We live 5 miles north of the bridge and I have not been troubled by sand flies so far this season.

Consider yourself very fortunate! We're about 2 miles north and had not had much of an issue until just this past week. I wondered if it was a seasonal thing due to the heavy rains, or possibly due to the west winds that have been blowing pretty consistently. They do rake portions of the beach here, but not all of it. I'm not a big fan of oiling my legs as they pick up sand like crazy when I do that, so I am hoping the little critters will vanish from whence they came fairly quickly.

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 294 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.