Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
We have a lot of windows in my house and the kiskadees see their own reflection in them and attack. Our caretaker said he picked up 10 dead birds a couple of weeks ago. Anyone know of a simple method to solve this problem. As I said we have a lot of windows and they go up three stories. Any help appreciated.

Captain One Iron
S
S
Leave your windows dirty...no shine...no problem

what a dim witted response to a real problem my suggestion is some type of plastic film

S
S
Great sense of humour Bobcat!

random decals on the windows seem to work

your humor is so dull it would not even cut paper

I've sent you a link for something that works quite well for us. Its a product adapted from our local vineyard operations...

We've had a similar problem, but fortunately not with Kiskadees, which are quite large birds. The birds we've had problems with are actually coming into the house and then hitting the windows when they try to escape. We've seen a number of dead birds around recently near our house and neighbours. Again, mostly of this little yellow and black variety. Elbert knows what they are.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

warblers migrating.
I mentioned this a few weeks back.
Hazards of Migration
I've been asked by several friends to explain the large number of dead birds being found.
Death during migration takes a heavy toll. It is estimated that half of all migrants heading south for the winter will not return to breed in the spring.
Predation and bad weather are two natural causes of mortality during migration.
Birds migrating are in a weak and venerable state, assisting with feeders and bird baths help tremendously and in more ways than the obvious.
Collisions with buildings, windows, and other structures is a human-made danger. Unfortunately, many birds cannot distinguish the difference between real sky and a reflection of the sky in a window.
During migration millions birds fly full tilt into windows and are fatally injured or injured and fail to complete their migration.
Planting trees and installing window awnings to block the sun from hitting the window may eliminate some reflection but Putting a bird feeder on or within a few feet of a window helps to slow birds down and lessen the effect of impact.
Bird baths help in much the same way by having the bird stop and hopefully become aware of windows and other obstacles it might not otherwise recognize.The feeders and water in Bird Baths also act as a refueling station and assist the bird in completing the journey.
//ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/418140/Re_Death_by_Migration.html#Post418140

Last edited by elbert; 10/22/11 09:51 AM.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Thanks Elbert! I knew you knew.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 320 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.