Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#419709 - 10/25/11 04:47 AM Clean Up Dives
jaxjags64109 Offline
My wife and I will be on Ambergris Caye on Dec.2 and staying for a week. We have been coming down for the past few years and we both enjoy diving. I regularly notice announcements of clean up dives among scuba websites/forums, etc.

I was thinking how nice it would be do be a part of a clean up dive in our favorite dive vacation location. I realize that no dive operator could afford to organize such a thing without the participants paying, and I think people would be willing to pay for the opportunity to give something back to a place we enjoy diving.

Does anyone think that other tourist would volunteer and pay for the opportunity to be a part of an underwater clean up effort?

I know I would be happy to volunteer and pay for the opportunity if we could do something meaningful while on vacation and be underwater. We generally bring items and donate to SAGA but something underwater would be cool as well.

The fact is, we come to AC for the people, weather, diving, and slow pace and while we will always donate to SAGA it is not what brings us to AC

#419712 - 10/25/11 05:52 AM Re: Clean Up Dives [Re: jaxjags64109]
PROBUS Offline
To be honest, there's far more cr*p on the beaches than underwater.

#419718 - 10/25/11 12:33 PM Re: Clean Up Dives [Re: jaxjags64109]
elbert Offline
Underwater Clean up campaigns and Project Aware dives against debris are fun and world wide popular.
http://www.projectaware.org/project/dive-against-debris
We've(San Pedro Dive Shops) had numerous such events over the last 15 years at no charge to the participants.
The results showed us how lucky we are that we have very little underwater debris. PROBUS is correct our large problem is beach trash. Garbage that the world dumps into the oceans floats ashore and floats ashore on Ambergris Caye. Our Island got its name from how the Trade Winds and prevailing currents bring what floats in the Caribbean to our beaches.
http://scubalessonsbelize.blogspot.com/2008/12/project-aware-eco.html
Involvement in Beach Clean up can be very gratifying for divers and reward for involvement in the past has been fun dives and snorkeling trips fro participants.
http://scubalessonsbelize.blogspot.com/2009/10/aware-kids_17.html
http://scubalessonsbelize.blogspot.com/2007/08/help-monitor-ambergris-cayes-reef.html
Its easy to organize the community is very aware of the problem and events are often.

#419781 - 10/25/11 07:12 PM Re: Clean Up Dives [Re: jaxjags64109]
ScubaLdy Offline
In all my years diving here I have seen very little litter underwater as any time something is spotted the dive master quickly retrieves it and removes it. THANKS GUYS AND GALS

#419801 - 10/26/11 01:12 AM Re: Clean Up Dives [Re: ScubaLdy]
jaxjags64109 Offline
Thanks for the responses. I have to agree, most of my diving has been done on the reef along AC and I have not seen any debris before. I guess I was thinking that if the beaches get as littered as they do there must be some underwater places that needed cleaning as well.

The beach clean up is a good idea. Anyone know of anything happening the first week in December that might need some volunteer assistance?

#419815 - 10/26/11 02:48 AM Re: Clean Up Dives [Re: jaxjags64109]
krehfish Offline
I'm not sure you need a group to make a diff. Absolutly the north/south groups have made a huge difference. But,you know, every first-time, or multiple-time visitor could pick up as they walk around. The little cans are there. Do it.

#419825 - 10/26/11 04:41 AM Re: Clean Up Dives [Re: krehfish]
jaxjags64109 Offline
I agree and we do that, but there is something about the sense of community and meeting people when something is organized that is appealing. Ultimately, I am just getting excited about my upcoming trip and my mind is running with ideas.

With that said, how about a lionfish hunt?

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (CaptOneIron, 1 invisible), 32 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,015 Topics
462,195 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.