Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 24 25
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

n The San Pedro Sun, Volume 21 Issue #31 dated August 11, 2011, Mayor Elsa Paz made mention of her plans to construct a town clock at the intersection of Barrier Reef Drive and Ambergris Street. "A town clock is planned to take the place of the proposed lighthouse. The town clock would be located on Barrier Reef Drive in the area where Ambergris Street meets Barrier Reef Drive. While this was not in the original plan for the park, the Mayor stated that it will add to the beauty of the park as well as assist in controlling heavy traffic on the front street. Ramon's Village has expressed interests in sponsoring the clock. Mayor Paz hopes that this is a project that she will be able to see completed shortly."

Well, construction of this Town Clock commenced early Monday morning, October 24th. A construction team from Graniel's Construction was on the site setting the ground work for the clock. The project is estimated to be completed within six weeks. During this period of time, the road will be blocked from in front of Caf� Cubano going northbound to Heritage Bank. According to the Mayor, the cost of the project could not be discussed as it is being donated by Ramon's Village.

The tower, with the base measuring seven feet by seven feet and standing 21 feet 8 inches tall, will sit in the middle of the intersection. The clock structure will house a permanent screen measuring 4' x 6' x 2", which will continuously be running advertisement of town events and of course, Ramon's Village. According to the Mayor, other advertisers will be welcomed to use the screen to advertise at a cost.

San Pedro Sun

Although I have about 10 different thoughts about this project running through my head I think I'll sit back and just assign numbers to the responses to see how many people are thinking the same things...I imagine Ramon's will weigh heavilly on the schedule of adverts but as a sponsoring business I suppose that's to be expected...

Nope sorry ...I have to say one thing..it's a pretty garish edifice to put in the middle of the most public place in town. My feelings are that a clock tower "controlling traffic" is one thing but to introduce electronic light mayhem to the square marginalizes the human and social nature of Central Park as a gathering place for locals and guests alike.

If it does happen though maybe the eastern, water facing screen could be permanently programmed to alternately display "Swimmers!! Beware of Boat Traffic!" and "Captians Caution!! Swimmers Present"

Conflictedly yours

JZB Offline
In the upcoming elections, I will vote an for whichever party promises to tear this monstrosity down. Take out those horrific tv screens and it may be slightly tolerable.

B
B
HOW CAN WE STOP THIS? Donated by Ramon's? WTF. Excuse my language...

I will vote an for whichever party promises to tear this monstrosity down. Take out those horrific tv screens and it may be slightly tolerable.

Category ~ Design & Review Issues

#1 - Brightly Lit "Organic Screen" Grossly Inappropriate

#2 - Roadway Obstruction

Category ~ Original Thought

*New!!!*

#1 - Campaign Issue

P
P
That is really horrible design and visually an eyesore. It is about as ugly as could possibly be designed

Originally Posted by BrusselSprout
HOW CAN WE STOP THIS? Donated by Ramon's? WTF. Excuse my language...

Category ~ Conflict of Interest

#1 - Donor gain (and control?)

You know if its donated from Ramons its going to flash 'Jesus Saves' or 'Wages of Sin is Death' Imposing personal ideals on others.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Originally Posted by pamkillen
That is really horrible design and visually an eyesore. It is about as ugly as could possibly be designed

Category - Design and Review

#3 Lack of input for a structure within public area

Originally Posted by elbert
You know if its donated from Ramons its going to flash 'Jesus Saves' or 'Wages of Sin is Death' Imposing personal ideals on others.

Category ~ Original Thought

*NEW*

#2 - Psychological, Cultural, & Social Warfare

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 24 25

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.