Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#420722 - 11/02/11 09:19 AM Group gives to YMCA, Liberty Children's Home
Marty Offline
Insurance Awareness was held last week - which wasn't exactly a headline event - but something slightly newsworthy did come out of it: the insurance people held a food drive to collect items for the Liberty Children's Home in Ladyville and the YMCA - which means it will all go to eminently worthy causes.

Those items were handed over today and 7news was there.

Tessa Usher, President BeLAIFA
"We started the week off with a prayer service at Eagles Nest Church on the Northern Highway. Throughout the week we were on different talk shows highlighting the different events that we would be happening for the week. Friday we had our food drive, where we placed advisers at the different supermarkets namely publics, James Brodies and K-Park, and they were posted there all day from 8 am to about 6 pm in the evening, recruiting goods for both the Liberty Children's Home and the YMCA."

Monica Bodden
"Why did you guys actually decided to do this food drive?"

"Well we wanted to give back to the community, this is our second year that we have been doing it, and we wanted to give back to the community. Insurance is known as always taking, well the perception that we take people's money but, we wanted to give back and we choose both Liberty Children's Home and the YMCA, because they were in much need of the assistance."

Monica Bodden
"What are some of the items that you guys received?"

"Well we received a lot of can food, cornflakes, cereals, milk, a whole lot of stuff all different kind of stuff, sugar, rice, beans, flour, so we received a lot of stuff."

Monica Bodden
"Now a part from this food drive that you guys did, what was the importance of insurance week?"

"Well it's to educated the public on life insurance, the need for life insurance, what it's all about, because you know Monica there is a bad perception of insurance and so we feel the need to highlight a week of activities educating the public on what insurance is all about because it's only by educating the public that we become aware of our surroundings in what happen and more exposed and we can make better and more informed decisions. And insurance unfortunately persons that, I wouldn't want to say benefit from insurance but persons that have received proceeds from these insurance, you won't find them coming on the television on the forefront saying 'I received a check for X amount of dollars or so many hundred thousand dollars.' Because you can't blame them at the end of the day all kinds of family members will show up probably wanting from those persons, and so you can't blame them for not wanting to expose that information. But every single day the life insurance companies pays out huge amount of claims. For this month alone I have had four death of my own personal clients that I had to pay out four different claims, and so these persons received their checks in reasonable time and as a result of that their life can go on. Yes we know that the proceeds cannot bring back that love one but at the end of the day it makes life much easier."

Channel 7

#420726 - 11/02/11 09:32 AM Re: Group gives to YMCA, Liberty Children's Home [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

Insurance Group gives to YMCA and Liberty

Christmas in November? Not yet, but it certainly feels that way to the recipients of a donation given by an insurance group. The two non-governmental organizations that care for youths are proud to receive proceeds of a food drive which was spearheaded by the Belize Life Insurance Association. News Five’s Delahnie Bain reports.

Delahnie Bain, Reporting

The Belize Life Insurance Association today gave early Christmas gifts to two charitable organizations and by extension, the children that they provide for. The association’s president, Tessa Usher, says the life insurance agents facilitated a food drive to give a generous donation to the Liberty Foundation and the Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA).

Tessa Usher

Tessa Usher, President, Belize Life Insurance Association

“On October the twenty-third to the twenty-ninth we celebrated life insurance awareness week. And as part of that initiative, we wanted to give back to the community and as a result of that we had this food drive where we placed insurance agents at the different supermarkets; both Publics, canal side and Northern Highway; both Brodies, Northern Highway and downtown; K-Park Supermarket and also they were placed there from eight in the morning to five-six in the evening, around the clock. So we worked shifts. The agents gave selflessly of their time to recruit the different goods that you see here from the customers that came into the supermarkets.”

For both recipients, the donation comes at a critical time of year. The Liberty Foundation, in particular, is a deep financial slump and the Director, Delfina Mitchell, has been struggling to make ends meet.

Delfina Mitchell

Delfina Mitchell, Director, Liberty Foundation

“Normally we have a big fundraiser in February in the UK to raise money for Liberty so by the end of the year; we’re like at the bottom of the pot. So for these few months I have to balance or prioritize bills and see which ones I need to pay right now and which ones can wait. A few weeks ago they came onboard and turned off our electricity for non-payment so I had to scramble around and try to get some money to try to take care of that bill to get the electricity turned on. Why I’m saying this is just to show you how much we’re really hurting for funds. So the money that I would spend on groceries right now, I could use for other things so this food drive will help us a lot.”

Meanwhile, the YMCA has seventy-five students who depend on their afterschool feeding program, and according to Program Coordinator, Ronald Reynolds, that’s what the food items will be used for.

Ronald Reynolds, Program Coordinator, YMCA

Ronald Reynolds

“This donation couldn’t have come at a better time seeing that we are nearing the end of the year when the YMCA does its annual Christmas dinner. If this donation is not being used either for the after school program directly it can be used for the Christmas dinner or vice versa; if it is used for the after school program, then the funds that we normally use for after school program can be pushed for the Christmas dinner that we normally have. But the donation will be used for the feeding program that the YMCA offers to the youths who we provide for everyday. We have about seventy-five students coming to the YMCA on a regular basis that we normally give a healthy snack to every evening that they report to the YMCA.”

But both Liberty and the YMCA depend heavily on donations and any additional donations will be greatly appreciated.

Delfina Mitchell

“Anyone that would like to help liberty or make a donation to Liberty can contact me at 225-2158 or on my cell at 624-3696. I would like to thank everyone that made a donation to this worthy cause. It’s much appreciated; you don’t know how much you’ve made my day. Thank you very much.”

Ronald Reynolds

“They can visit the YMCA on Fabers Road Extension or they can call us at 222-5526 and ask for either Mr. Ronald, Miss Perdita or Doctor Cuellar.”

Tessa Usher

“We felt very touched by Miss Delfina’s interview and as a result of that we will discuss with our executive when we meet at the board meeting to do it as a quarterly initiative where we can assist them on a quarterly basis at least, instead of a yearly basis. So we do believe that we’ll get the consensus to vote on that.”

Delahnie Bain for News Five.

Channel 5

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 50 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,687 Topics
461,187 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.