Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#420740 - 11/02/11 09:56 AM Flu Vaccines Available
Marty Offline
Ministry of Health announces availability of Flu Vaccines

The Ministry of Health is indicating to the general public that the seasonal flu vaccine is now available for specific at-risk groups. These special groups consist of: Children 6 – 23 months, adults 65 years and older; Health Care Providers and persons 6 months and older with cardiac or pulmonary disease including asthma, and chronic conditions such as Diabetes, Renal Failure, and HIV.

The Seasonal Flu vaccine is inactivated trivalent types A and B Subtypes 2011–2012. It is administered in the upper arm (Deltoid muscle). There are mild side-effects associated with the administration of the flu vaccine: slight temperature elevation, aching muscles for a couple days and possible soreness at the injection site. Persons who have allergy to eggs are advised not to take the vaccine due to its preparation in chicken embryos. The vaccination is available at all public health centers, free of cost throughout the country. Persons in the specified at risk groups are advised to go to their nearest health center to be vaccinated and to report any adverse reaction that may occur after vaccine administration.

If you belong to any one of the at risk groups, it is important that you have your seasonal flu vaccine. Also persons who were vaccinated last year are advised to get vaccinated again this year.

#421013 - 11/04/11 09:30 AM Re: Flu Vaccines Available [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline
The Ministry of Health this week announced the availability of vaccines to address the seasonal flu. According to health officials, the flu season runs until early next year and in an effort to bring relief to vulnerable groups, the injections are being made available free of cost to those who need it most. Doctor Natalia Beer is the Maternal and Child Health technical advisor with the Ministry of Health.

Dr. Natalia Beer – Maternal and Child Health Adviser
“Every year the Ministry procures the World health Organization flu vaccine and the objective is to protect against the most common viruses during the upcoming season each year. The seasonal flu runs from the month of October, November up to April, May of the following year so each year there is laboratory research identifying the most common viruses that cause the flu in the population and then vaccines are updated each year based on the most common strains of viruses. We have given priority to those are at greater risks and we are inviting parents to bring children six to 23 months, adults 65 years and older and care providers because of the risk in providing care for the entire population. The next group is persons six months and older that have chronic illness such as cardiac or pulmonary disease including asthma and chronic conditions such as diabetes and renal failure. ”

Dr. Beer says that the vaccines are administered through an injection in the upper arm. The flu shot, according to the health official carries mild side effects; but persons with certain allergies are advised to stay clear of these vaccines. Dr. Beer says that the vaccination is available free of cost at all public health centers across the country. Persons who were vaccinated last year are advised to do so again this year.

#421019 - 11/04/11 10:46 AM Re: Flu Vaccines Available [Re: Marty]
elbert Offline
Tourist from all over the world bring more than luggage down every year. This makes it extra hazardous for the islands population.
....But I'm still not convinced flu shots are not as hazardous as the flu itself.
on a serious note
and then there is this:

The Dive Shops Daily Blog

#421142 - 11/06/11 03:52 AM Re: Flu Vaccines Available [Re: Marty]
seashell Offline
Seems like those that live in San Pedro should be getting enough Vitamin D from the sun? Up here, not so much . . . I started taking Vitamin D a couple of years ago, and have enjoyed much better health than in years previous. That said, I get a flu shot every year too. Since I started getting the flu shot, I haven't returned from travelling only to find myself come down with a horrible flu/cold/bronchitis, which used to be pretty much par for the course. And all that said, I've also become a fanatic about wiping down my area on the plane, with anti-bacterial wet wipes. Yeah, I do get funny looks from people, so what? smile Have also had seat mates ask if they could get a wipe from me. smile Perhaps I should buy stock in the product?
A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#421256 - 11/07/11 07:29 PM Re: Flu Vaccines Available [Re: Marty]
PROBUS Offline
What is/are the Public Health Center(s) on AC?

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 43 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,633 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,706 Topics
461,226 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.