Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#419725 10/25/11 07:15 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Ever since Friday's pivotal house meeting there's been talk about an early election - possibly as early as December, some suggest. Now, it's just a rumour - and there's absolutely no official confirmation but with the opposition in its splintered state, and Government having been battered by the ninth amendment process - there's certainly an air of possibility, And the prime minister alluded to the possibility of an early election at Friday's house sitting as he addressed the decimated opposition bench.

PM Dean Barrow
"Notice one thing you remember they were starting with a thing lately, every time they finish making their speech and going on about how things are bad, they would say call the elections now. I notice you never said call the elections now this time. And of course we can't call it now because the Belizean people feels so sorry for you all and they will feel like we are taking advantage of you all if we call the elections now, because you all are in such a shambles, you all are so hopeless and worthless - that again our democratic instrinks prevent us from calling the election now. I say we are not going to call it now, I never say we will not going to call it next month or the month after or the month after."

Channel 7

Marty #419850 10/26/11 08:35 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

UDP's Ground Commander Discusses Prospect Of Early Election

As you've seen in the clips we've shown you of Friday's house sitting, the Barrow Administration - with the passage of the ninth - has the swagger and bearing of a prizefighter primed for a world championship bout.

So, with all that swagger and momentum generated by the determination to push on through with the ninth, will the UDP call an early, snap election?

We first asked that question last night based on rumors and the Prime Minister's leading statements in the house. Today we put it squarely to the man who calls himself the UDP's Ground Commander. He basically said, that nothing would please him more:..

Jules Vasquez
"You are called the ground commander for your party, there are rumors about that the elections will be held early. As the ground commander I would imagine you would know of such a thing. Is there such an eventuality?"

Hon. Anthony Boots Martinez
"Well I don't know but in my humble opinion I wish the election would be tomorrow."

Jules Vasquez
"Why is that?"

"Because the government is on a roll, the people are with the government, if you notice."

Jules Vasquez
"Maybe they are on a roll downhill."

"Well that is in my view your determination. But I am seeing that the PUP are rolling down hill, I know the UDP are rolling up hill. If you notice that at the end of the day, even support for the 9th Amendment, it just to show up, in Belmopan on Friday was over whelming in terms of supporters of the United Democratic Party."

Channel 7

Marty #420900 11/03/11 08:25 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
PM Says Yes To A Not-So-Early Election

So with light bills coming down - and a number of loans coming on stream to fix up Belize City, doesn't it seem like the table is being set for an early General election?

The PM let on that it may be early, but no time soon:

Prime Minister Dean Barrow - Prime Minister of Belize

"I'm not going to play that game, although, there seems to be a very tempting invitation from the other side. When they went to the House for the 9th amendment, they did not issue forth their usual call for elections. But I see, since then, Mr. Fonseca's enthronement has produced a reversion to type, and he is saying, 'Yes, call the elections now.' Well, if we do call it, nobody can say that we are taking advantage of them, because they say that they are ready. But I know that we haven't made any decision along those lines. The better thinking at this juncture would certainly be that we await the results of the municipal elections, which we are confident of winning and then use that as a spring board for the General Elections. It does remain a wide-open question, although, I repeat that as of now, the thinking now is to 'whap them' first at the municipal elections and then 'whap them' again in the General Elections thereafter."

Channel 7

Marty #420904 11/03/11 08:31 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Will there be an early election?

But will there be early general elections? When the consultations on the Ninth Amendment began, supporters of the P.U.P. were calling for elections. Those sentiments have been echoed by the Opposition at House meetings. And after the PM's Independence Day speech, the ante went up that early elections were on the table. In the past weeks, politicos speculated that Barrow would pull a fast one since the opposition party was at an all time low and in search for a new leader. The answer to the early election questioned was answered this morning at the PM's quarterly conference.

Dean Barrow

"There will be early elections; there is a March seventh municipal elections-that's early enough. I said municipal elections are municipal elections; general is a completely different thing. I'm not going to play that game although there seems to be a very tempting invitation from the other side. When they went to house for the ninth amendment, they did not issue call for elections. But I've seen since Mr. Fonseca's enthronement has produced a reversion and he says yes call the elections now. Well, if we do call it, nobody could say we di take advantage of them because they say they ready. We haven't made any decisions along those lines. The better thinking at this juncture would certainly be to await the results of municipal elections, which we are confident in winning. And then use that as a springboard for the general elections. But then that is the beauty or in some cases if you are on the other side, the disadvantage of the parliamentary system. Really the Prime Minister of the Day, the government of the day can choose to call elections whenever they think is best. We are entitled to seek the most advantageous moment to fix the elections. So on the basis of all that; it does remain a wide open question, although I repeat that as of now the thinking certainly is to whap them first in municipal elections then whap them again in general elections thereafter."

Channel 5

Marty #421078 11/05/11 08:19 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Elections and Boundaries ready

Alberto August

Call the elections now has been the battle cry of opposition members in the House and also at the recent inauguration of Francis Fonseca as PUP Leader. It was wide speculated that the government could call an early election since the People's United Party was at a clear disadvantage during their leadership transition. Earlier in the week, PM Barrow hinted it might come after municipal elections. According to Alberto August, the Chairman of Elections and Boundaries Commission, the date can be set with only one month's notice.

Jose Sanchez

"If an early election is called, is the machinery of elections and boundaries ready to handle a municipal and general?"

Alberto August, Chairman, Elections and Boundaries Commission

"Jose one of the roles of the department is to always be in readiness of an election. There is a continuous voter registration exercise in place, there is always training in place to ensure that officers are always ready whenever the election is called."

Jose Sanchez

"There are times when people are residence of one area; they transfer. Is it too late to actually have the correct addresses vetted through elections and boundaries?"

Alberto August

"Well that is the continuous role of the registering officers. Once a person goes in to apply for registration or transfer then the officer automatically goes in and verifies that person's residence."

Jose Sanchez

"How soon could we see an election if you are called to task?"

Alberto August

"Well normally the government or the Prime Minister-because that is at the prerogative of the Prime Minister. The Prime Minister normally gives one month notice for the holding of an election; that is enough time. Like I'm telling you the elections and boundaries department is always ready for an election whenever it is called. But like I'm telling you, the Prime Minister normally gives one month notice for election."

Channel 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.