Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Fifteen councilor Candidates and two mayor candidates entered the PUP's City Council Convention on Saturday. As we've reported, it was a delegates-only convention - meaning that only 512 handpicked supporters from the city's ten divisions were permitted to vote.

It's the first time we've heard of that kind of convention for candidates - but nonetheless, the event on Saturday afternoon had the required atmospherics.

We were there:..

Jules Vasquez Reporting
Gabourel Lane had the atmosphere and human combustion of a street carnival on Saturday afternoon - as the PUP convened for a closed delegates convention. But there were much more than just delegates on the scene.

Edward "Papi Poti" Orosco - PUP Supporter
"PUP shouting, saying coming home."

Phillip "Fawda" Henry
"Jules I want to say that Mrs. Bodden will be the better candidate today because Ms. Sharole is from the United Democratic Party, she was there before."

Jules Vasquez
"Did you vote? Are you a delegate?"

Roy "Bullitt" Craig - PUP Supporter
"I am a human rights activist, I am just like you - a human rights activists."

Jules Vasquez
"But I can't vote in this."

Roy "Bullitt" Craig - PUP Supporter
"But you are not a candidate. If you were you would have win because everybody loves channel 7. Even my niece is working for you for years. But that is not the point. The point is that we want our country to develop and all the other mayors rip us and you stand there like the statue of liberty and let that happen, so what are you objecting to?"

Objection denied - but the candidates were not be so easily dismissed - each had their hopes of winning and a strategy to boot:

Gary Ayuso - Councilor Candidate
"It's very exciting Jules, I would never believe that it would have been so. We visited all the constituencies try to find all the delegates and spoke to them on a one-on-one basis and that was out platform of trying to get the most number of votes in this convention."

Peter Lacey Jr - Councilor Candidate
"I am hopeful but at the end of the day the delegates are the bosses, the voting populous of Belize City are the bosses and I hope that would vote for me."

Edward Young - Councilor Candidate
"As you can see more than just the delegates came out, so you have great support on both sides and when it's all said and done whoever comes up we all work together because we are one party; one united party."

Bobby Cadle - Councilor Candidate
"The delegates came out today and have shown support for the party and that is what is important, unity is strength."

Erwin X - Councilor Candidate
"Well after I have work the constituencies and all the years that I have put in - in this nation, I am more than confident that it is not only the delegates but the love that I share with the people and the way I have given back unselfishly all those years - the people knows that I am a credible person."

Sharole Sadivar - Mayoral Candidate
"Very confident, my machinery and people are working and I am very confident."

Jules Vasquez
"Has the day gone as you had expected it to?"

Sharole Sadivar - Mayoral Candidate
"Yes we have a little more activity but it is going well."

Karen Bodden - Mayoral Candidate
"I am more than confident Jules because I feel that my people and myself are awake and alert and that's what's necessary. I am newcomer to the race and so I felt that I would not have been able to motivate people the way I have, but I did it."

In the end, Bodden proved to have the right mix, as she trounced Saldivar 263 to 169.

So, Karen Bodden will be the PUP's candidate for mayor and she will be joined by the following: Swami Babani, Alberto Vellos, Peter Lacy Jr., Patrick Thompson, Lennox "Tambran" Young, Gary Ayuso, Edward Young, Dorla Vaughan, and Bobby Cadle. The party, incredibly, has still not sent out a release confirming that this is their slate.

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

PUP holds convention for Belize City council slate

The People's United Party held its delegate convention this past Saturday at ST. Mary's Hall. The convention was to select their mayoral candidates along with candidates for councilors. It was quite a vibrant convention with drummers and supporters singing. 15 councilors vied for the 10 councilor positions and two women vied for the Mayoral candidacy. Those women were Karen Bodden and Sharole Saldivar and in the end, Karen Bodden came out on top with a win of 263 to 162 over Saldivar. During the voting, we spoke to both women.

Karen Bodden, Candidate
I am more than confident, because I feel that my people and myself are awake and alert and that's what's necessary. I think it went well because it went better than I had expected. I am a new comer to the race and so I felt that I would not have been able to motivate people the way I have, but I did it.

Sharole Saldivar, Candidate
My machinery is working; my people are working and I am very confident. We had a little bit more activity, but it is going well.

Juelz Vasquez, Channel 7
Spirited day.

Sharole Saldivar
Yes, very much so.

We spoke with a few candidates who were all either confident or optimistic.

Erwin X, PUP Candidate
We are here to bring back Belize; we are here to stand up on the foundation of the Father of Independence; a man according to the people's opinion and the people's reality, was a good man and we want a better Belize. In order to fix it we need good people and that's the reason why I am involved along with my team.

PUP Candidate
Our whole strategies from the very get go was to pound the pavement. We visited all the constituencies and tried to find all the delegates, spoke to them on a one on one basis and that was our platform of trying to get the most number of votes in this convention.

Peter Lacey, PUP Candidate
To me it's more about the party uniting, right now everyone is voting so everyone is moving around in a frenzy, but after 4 o'clock today we are going to be united as a party, as eleven PUP candidates to go up for the election.

Juelz Vasquez
You'll be one of those?

Peter Lacey
I am hopeful, but at the end of the day the delegates are the bosses; the voting populaces of Belize City are the bosses and I hope that they will vote for me.

Well known UDP personality Philip "Father" Henry was at Saturdays convention also and said that he went back to his roots.

Philip "Father" Henry, UDP Personality
I am a true born Belizean citizen who chooses what I really want. Let me say this, I don't choose within color, I choose within the people who can serve the nation. I have a lot of friends here at the People's United Party; remember now, my roots is from the People's United Party. They failed the manifesto miserable and so I choose to serve the People's United Party.

Topping the polls for councilors were businessman Swami Babini with 326 votes, followed by Alberto Vellos with 301. Others making up the slate are Peter Lacey with 298, Patrick Thompson with 295, Dj Tambrand with 284, Garry Ayuzo with 283, Edward Young with 281, Erwin X with 278 and Dorla Vaughn with 259.

PlusTV

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.