Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
OP Offline
J
I'm currently deployed to Iraq and will be home soon. My girlfiend and i want to come to Bleize for some r&r. We planned to stay on Ambergris Caye for diving, snorkling, relaxing etc..

Want to know about where to go, where NOT to go.
Best dive shop.
Best way to get to and from mainland (mayan ruins etc) and which are the best to see.
Interested in wildife reserves too.
Best to exchange US for BZ $?

Planned on spending a few days on Amergris and a few days 3-4?seeing the sights inland before flying back.

Any pointers for newbies?

First I want to say thanks for your service to the US.
don't worry about exchanging money they take dollars in BZ
it would probably be good to stay a day in BZ city go see the Mayans ruins from there then head to AC and dive.

your at the right place for info.
you will love the island and should plan to stay at least a week in BZ

mary
Just so you know... this may be your first trip to Belize, but it won't be your last.

Belize will grab hold of you and won't let go.

I am planning trip #5 since 2006.

Last edited by tortuga.chica; 11/11/11 08:24 PM.

A hug is the shortest distance between friends. ~ Author Unknown
J
OP Offline
J
Thank you Mary. Yes we were thinking of doing the ruins etc..so we can get our city activities done then spend the rest of the time relaxing on the caye.

Is it easy to get to and from A.C.? For those that have explore the ruins, cabe tubed, etc.. what would you recommend we see? We dont mind public transportation, biking or moped. It usually is part of the adventure.

What is the crime like on the Caye? I know that the city will be worse. Any areas or activities we should be aware of safety wise?

As far as currency, is it 2 u.s. to 1 BZ?

C
C
I agree with Mary....Thanks for your service!!! Currency is the other way around 2Bz equals 1US. Belize is a small country but you may want to locate in San Ignacio for the Mayan Ruin, cave tubing etc. part of your trip. It will be closer than Belize City and a more pleasant town.

J
OP Offline
J
How often do the air shuttles run?

T
t42 Offline
T
Flights to and from the mainland to Ambergris Caye are every hour. My suggestion would be to book a property in the Cayo district and enjoy ruins and caves many resorts have airport pick up or use public transport if u are on a tighter budget. Travel here is very easy so don't let that worry you easy to get around which ever way you choose.

I would not recommend staying in Belize City. There really is nothing to do there. It is a transfer point for most people carrying on to other destinations. The only decent hotel there is Radisson. You will be bothered for small change and hear Taxi Taxi everywhere you go. The city is dirty and full of hustlers just wanting your cash. San Pedro/Caye Cauker and Cayo/Placencia are like night and day compared to Belize City. If you do decide to go, don't wander the streets after dark and stay away from the South side (gangbanger territory)

F
FyreDragn
FyreDragn
F
Originally Posted by Jimbobiker
I'm currently deployed to Iraq and will be home soon. My girlfiend and i want to come to Bleize for some r&r. We planned to stay on Ambergris Caye for diving, snorkling, relaxing etc..

Want to know about where to go, where NOT to go.
Best dive shop.
Best way to get to and from mainland (mayan ruins etc) and which are the best to see.
Interested in wildife reserves too.
Best to exchange US for BZ $?

Planned on spending a few days on Amergris and a few days 3-4?seeing the sights inland before flying back.

Any pointers for newbies?

Hello there.. I'm new to AC/San Pedro as well, but have been here for about a month now. I'm a former US Army vet served two tours in Iraq myself and just returned permanently from being a civilian contractor in Iraq also. My girlfriend and I moved permanently and have relatives here. Hit me up with a private message if you want to ask questions.

J
OP Offline
J
So can a reasonable amount of tours be done in a day if we fly back over early and do say the cave tubing, ruins and maybe the zoo? That way we would only need the one reservation on A.C.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 319 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.