Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#421986 - 11/14/11 08:41 PM Ambergris Croc Relocation Concern
Biologist Cherie Offline
To Concerned Residents and Resort Owners,

ACES is receiving complaints about the area into which we have been relocating problematic crocodiles. First, despite the rumors, ACES does not relocate problematic crocs into immediate residential areas, nor are we placing them in captivity and letting them escape. ACES hears and agrees with the relocation concerns one hundred percent and feels that the communities of Ambergris Caye need to come together to find the solution, hence a croc containment facility for education and tourism. No matter if we took these crocs 100 miles away, it has been scientifically proven that they will normally return to where they came from originally. ACES has been providing a free community service of removing problematic crocs that are causing immediate danger to pets and people. We have been relocating these crocs to an area that is being proposed to become a wildlife sanctuary off of the public road leading into Grande Belize Estates Development where there are no immediate homes. For the record, there are only eight large repeat offending problematic crocs that we have relocated to the area north. Thus, we are re-capturing and relocating the same animals more than once, we are not bringing more crocs into the area. The relocated crocs keep returning to their southern homes. American crocodiles are not only an endangered species, but a very important part of keeping the island's ecosystem in balance and cannot just "be killed."

ACES has been suggesting an educational containment facility for over a year now and has even hand delivered proposals that are available for viewing at AmericanCrocodileSanctuary.org. We are a transparent non-profit organization and are willing to hold a public meeting and divulge our past years expenses, funding, and the estimated costs of the proposed educational tourist eco-attraction for the island. Please call Vince at 631-6366 with suggestions and concerns. Vince is happy to meet with you in person at your convenience.

Sincerely,Vince & Cherie

#422031 - 11/15/11 03:50 AM Re: Ambergris Croc Relocation Concern [Re: Biologist Cherie]
Portofino Offline
To be honest, up here we are not very happy with this relocation. We are just north of Mata Grande and I have two young children - 3 and 6 years - same snack size as a dog. We also have 30 staff and of course guests. High land is very narrow here and the lagoon borders our property - 250 to 300 feet from the seafront. I assume the residents at Mata Grande are not happy either, I know there are kids and dogs there and hope the crocodile finds his way back where he came from soon and doesn't come our direction, while it is lost and looking for it's home. When you have a problem crocodile, you should just put it down, as hard as it is or, keep it in captivity - isn't there a new crocodile refuge on the mainland? I am sure that you also know from experience that a problem crocodile will never adjust back to the wild and keep going for the easy prey. When choosing between the life of an endangered problem crocodile that will never rehabilitate or putting human lives at risk the answer should be simple in my opinion.
Jan van Noord

#422044 - 11/15/11 06:36 AM Re: Ambergris Croc Relocation Concern [Re: Biologist Cherie]
SFJeff Offline
"Thus, we are re-capturing and relocating the same animals more than once, we are not bringing more crocs into the area."

"For the record, there are only eight large repeat offending problematic crocs that we have relocated to the area north."

Huh? -We have not brought any more crocs into the area, I mean with the exception of those 8 large problematic ones.

#422048 - 11/15/11 12:17 PM Re: Ambergris Croc Relocation Concern [Re: Biologist Cherie]
elbert Offline
Quick and simple for the record, I am for putting problem crocs down. Lets not be silly about the endangered species status. We should look to Florida for guidance in handling this situation they have a mature program with their alligator problems...
but the problem here is more immediate than can wait for legislation and we should just kill these few problem crocs on sight and now.
Belize has never been known for enforcing laws of this nature and I'm sure it will go without interference from government.

#422082 - 11/15/11 02:45 PM Re: Ambergris Croc Relocation Concern [Re: Biologist Cherie]
Diane Campbell Offline
I agree with Elbert.

And I loudly protest the relocation of the problem crocs to Mata Grande.

Vince told me that the problem crocs have been dropped off in the Mata Lagoon by the bridge into GBE.
If a croc can walk from there to San Pablo, I'd say it is WAY TOO CLOSE to a very nice people-populated neighborhood.

Apparently the croc in the pool at LT was one of these that were relocated where there were "no immediate homes" .....

This is one time I am not in the least bit ashamed to be a NIMBY.

Edited by Diane Campbell (11/16/11 12:29 AM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#422098 - 11/15/11 03:23 PM Re: Ambergris Croc Relocation Concern [Re: Biologist Cherie]
Biologist Cherie Offline
I am so glad to FINALLY be getting everyone's attention. ACES is very much aware of proper wildlife management. I am educated and have worked for both the USA Division of Wildlife and the National Marine Fisheries Service. We have repeatedly stated that relocation is NOT an answer. The answer is, just like alligators in the states when they were endangered, to place the large problematic crocs in captivity and then rear hatchlings (young) and re-release a percentage according to the population status to keep the eco-system in balance. Once the population is stable, then anything over 6 feet that has either been fed by a human or that is problematic would be put down and all the parts used, bringing funds back to the Belize Forest Department and providing self-sustainability for the educational containment facility. ACES population survey for the past year is complete and data results are being compiled. A Croc Conservation plan for the island based on the data will be proposed to Belize Government before the new year. These are the proper steps to take for proper wildlife management. Not indiscriminate killing of endangered animals. And for the record, if locals had not been feeding these apex predators illegally for so many years, which they still do, there would not be so many problematic crocodiles. ACES is part of the solution, not the problem. Let's put our energy together and work towards a containment facility for the captivity of the problem crocs, education, and tourism here on the island. There is an ACES facility on the mainland and it currently holds 2 large problem croc from Ambergris Caye. The thing is, after the 22 Morelet's we rescued last week we have no more room there right now. We need funding for habitats there before we can take anymore. We are only two people and are doing the best we can with what we have. If ACES in PG had not been burnt down there wouldn't be this problem at all. We have been removing problem crocs to a less populated area taking those in immediate danger out of harms way. And every time we did so, we did post warnings in the news that this is not the answer and that the crocs will only return or become someone else's problem. Anyone wishing to help raise funds for the proper containment of problem crocs either here or on the mainland please feel free to contact us at 631-6366 or acesnpo@hughes.net. Thank you all for your concern. Sincerely,
Cherie

#422102 - 11/15/11 04:01 PM Re: Ambergris Croc Relocation Concern [Re: Biologist Cherie]
SFJeff Offline
First, I don't believe anyone on this board questions ACES intent, nor your experience.

That said, if as you say above "we have repeatedly stated that relocation is not the answer" then one is tempted to ask... uh... why relocate them?

I mean, what possible good does it do to take a problem croc from town and move it 5 miles to the north?

Just asking.

#422106 - 11/15/11 04:28 PM Re: Ambergris Croc Relocation Concern [Re: Biologist Cherie]
SFJeff Offline
...one could make a compelling argument that relocating a croc 5-10 miles is taking a more localized problem and simply broadening its scope.

EX: before it was relocated, Las Terazas did not really have to consider the possibility of the "WASA croc" ending up in their pool...???

#422111 - 11/15/11 04:56 PM Re: Ambergris Croc Relocation Concern [Re: Biologist Cherie]
Biologist Cherie Offline
A crocodile's range is much more than 5 miles. Gators in Florida that where relocated have been known to travel over 100 miles to return to from where they came.

#422113 - 11/15/11 05:03 PM Re: Ambergris Croc Relocation Concern [Re: Biologist Cherie]
SFJeff Offline
Um....

my point exactly.

So taking a problem croc that is, say in the WASA pond, and moving it elsewhere on the island accomplishes what exactly?

I mean, before 'relocation' at least it was KNOWN that it was IN THE WASA POND.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 24 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,021 Topics
462,212 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.