Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

belize-yellow-parrot-250I would like to ask your support for a great cause - saving the highly endangered Belizean Yellow-headed Parrot using artificial cavities similar to those we pioneered right here in the Southeastern US for the Red-cockaded Woodpecker.

The Story

I'm a wildlife biologist.  At my day job, I work for a public land management agency in Florida's Big Bend region on the Gulf coast.  One of the endangered species that I work with is the Red-cockaded woodpecker (RCW).  I'm also a traveling biologist who helps landowners throughout the range of the Red-cockaded Woodpecker recover populations of this amazing little bird.  This venture gets me out into the field conducting on-the-ground conservation projects focused on this rare woodpecker species and southern pine forests in general.  A cornerstone of my work with the RCW is installing artificial nest cavities in high up in live pine trees.  A thousand miles south of here, another critically endangered bird also lives in cavities in pine trees.  It will benefit from the same type of artificial cavities as the RCW.

The Parrot

The Yellow-headed Parrot (YHP) has bright beautiful plumage and incredible abilities to mimic human speech.  Sadly, these traits are also the leading causes of the species' endangered status.  The Belizean Yellow-headed Parrot (Amazona oratrix belizensis) has been experiencing severe population declines since at least the mid 1970s when poachers began aggressively pursuing them for the illegal pet trade.  The illegal harvest of parrot chicks and habitat loss of open pine savannas has left less than 7,000 YHPs in the wild today according to Bird Life International. Extinction in our lifetime is a real possibility for this species.  The fascinating thing is that the YHP lives in cavities in Caribbean pine trees in habitats that are amazingly similar to our longleaf and slash pine forests of Florida where the Red-Cockaded Woodpecker makes its home.

Michael-Keys-in-treeThe Impact

No one has ever tried this before, but we believe cavity installation techniques similar to what has worked for the Red-cockaded woodpecker can be employed to provide safe nesting habitat for the much rarer Yellow-headed Parrot.  In fact, poaching is the number one problem for all species of Amazon parrots, and creation of artificial cavities high in the native Caribbean pines requires specialized climbing gear that the average poacher will not have.

Our plan is to make nest cavities above the reach of bird grabbers and give these birds a fighting chance to reproduce in the wild.

The Partnership

Our goal is to contribute to the survival of Yellow-Headed Parrot through direct conservation action, research and community participation with partnerships in Belize.  This project - the RCW-YHP Project - will be managed by a partnership of staff who work at TIDE, Belize (Toledo Institute for Development and Environment), Steve Morrison (an employee of The Nature Conservancy in Central Florida) and myself, Michael Keys.

pine-savannahThe Need

My funding plan is simple, but, I can't completely self-finance my way back and forth to remote Belize savannas (pictured at right)  with boxes of equipment and supplies.   I have the resources, tools of the trade and committed conservation partners to initiate a pilot project and test the theory that artificial cavity creation will greatly benefit the YHP.  I simply need funds to cover the costs associated with travel, creation of nest boxes and shipping of materials to/from Belize to start construction.  My goal is to raise enough money (approx. $2,500) to cover the costs of an initial expedition in January 2012 and a follow-up trip within the year to assess results, refine techniques and continue with installations of nest boxes.

All funds will go directly to support creation of artificial nest cavities in Payne's Creek National Park, Toledo District, Belize.  This project relies on donations to cover the costs of travel and shipping supplies, construction of the nest boxes and equipment such as chain saws and ladders used to install cavities.

Your Contribution

Gifts of any size are appreciated.  While this is a not-for-profit venture, donations are not currently tax-deductible.

If our financial goal is exceeded, surplus funds will be devoted to increasing monitoring of the success of the the project and expansion to other sites in Belize where the YHP still is found.

Sponsorship Levels (substitutions allowed for sponsors wishing an appreciation gift commensurate with lesser value donations)

Egg-in-Nest - $10-24:  a personalized digital postcard taken in the Belizean pine savannas on the first expedition to install cavities in January 2012.

Fluffy Nestling - $25-74:  a personalized digital postcard as above plus links to helmet-cam video taken during cavity construction.

Happy Fledgling - $75-99:  an original North Florida Wildlife logo t-shirt on 100% organic cotton (please email size).

Big Bird - over $100:  a printed and matted one-of-a-kind photograph taken in the Belizean pine savannas on the first expedition to install cavities in January 2012 near Punta Gorda, Belize.

Donate securely through PayPal either with your credit card or PayPal account.

Please click here to view my one-page flyer advertising this exciting conservation opportunity, and visit my blog which contains secure donation links at:  http://www.northfloridawildlife.blogspot.com; or contribute to the cause directly through this PayPal link:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YK2JWLA8GWGUA

Please feel free to distribute this message within your organization to any conservation-minded contacts you believe might be receptive to this request.

Thank you,

Michael Keys
North Florida Wildlife
Email:  [email protected]
Phone:  850.926.5478

Last edited by Marty; 11/16/11 07:42 AM.
R
R
Are you aware that there is already an Amazona Oratrix Rescue program sanctioned by the Forestry Department already established at Belize Bird Rescue?

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.