Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
OP Offline
A
This may not apply to a lot of people but it sure does to me. What happens to the perishables I leave in the refrigerator when I leave my condo after having over-provided for myself and guests for our stay? I own the condos and have an owner storage area to store, hmm, say an extra rum and other non-perishibles until my return. But, I frequently leave eggs, an unopened package of breakfast sausage, a bottle of barely used Marie Sharp's? Who gets those? I think it would be great if it went to a food shelf or similar program myself.

S
S
This happens a lot when our boats come off charter. Our staff get all the food that is left over on a rotational basis. Perishables are of no use to a food bank.

G
G
When I lived at Caribbean Villas, Christmas for 13+ years, and while i was having my house built and was there almost monthly, I talked to the staff to make sure they could use the leftovers. And they could. You should get blessings if the staff want and get your leftovers.

A
OP Offline
A
Really, I am serious, a concerted effort by a charitable organization could garner much support. Resorts could advertise that leftover foodstuffs would be donated to a foodshelf and tourists wouln't feel wasteful or in my case, too stupid because they overestimate the food and underestimate the alcohol.

I don't like the idea of whoever is the housekeeper that day just takes it home. That person has a job, I have already tipped them and apparently, there is an effort underway for a food program on the island. Unfortunately, when I leave tomorrow, I am unable to just stop by a bin at the PolyClinic and leave the flour, tomato juice, cooking oil, pancake mix etc not to mention eggs and sausage.

You underestimate the power of the feeling of giving. Let us, the people who stay in Conos and overestimate our needs, the ability to know that what we leave is well utilized.

JMHO

G
G
Really, I often fixed beer battered fish, and made a helping for ourselves, and a big plate for the staff, sent to the office at lunch time, so the best fresh fish got used in it's prime.

G
G
Sorry, you don't get it! Staff give food to families and friends that need it. This Island has a day to day rolling food bank. This isn't the US of A.

A
OP Offline
A
I never minded when the only place I stayed was Coral Bay, my problem comes up now, while at my place at Belizean Shores and I know the need of the area but the people who work here, rotate like waves. Finding out that an effort is underway for some sort of food bank...I thought this a good idea and good advertising for a resort that is a participant.

G
G
Give it up! It isn't the way things are done here. I know staff with jobs is looked at in a certain way....I'm missing some flatware, I just realized, and a big can of Tunisian olive oil. But the housekeeper, that just quit or was forced into quitting/fired, who has jobs in peoples houses, is poor beyond the poverty level. There are no housekeepers/staff making a killing here, off of their petty theft or the stuff you leave behind.

G
G
Also advertising for what end? Resorts provide so much for this Island, they don't need what you are suggesting. Do you realize the good guys, give and give and give. And do it anonymously! It's so much better Karma anyway.

A
OP Offline
A
Sandy Point
Resorts...ready to be the first? Meeting in January guys and gals.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 328 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.