Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
These poisonings leave me sickened beyond belief. My deepest sympathies to those who have lost pets this way. I read the tribute to Savana in the San Pedro Animal Hospital's blog today, and it made me weep.

We all hope that the thugs who do these things will eventually be brought to justice, but that won't bring your beloved dogs back.

I'm so sorry...
Emily

Last edited by BeBelize; 12/05/11 04:58 PM. Reason: Removed link because I could not get it to render correctly

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com
Oh no! Jeff, I am so terribly sorry for your loss. That is so, so sad. Just terrible.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

Originally Posted by Mcplus
I have been here for 23 years and the dog problem has been getting worse each and every year.

I disagree 100% with the allegation that the dog problem has gotten worse every year for 23 years. IMHO that claim is preposterous.
SAGA has done a lot of good and continues to do so.

It might also be noted that people who torture animals are generally violent to people as well - these are dangerous sickos on every level.

S
S
It seems to me that a lot of posters here have lost the plot.
After my initial post only ONE person was concerned about the little girl who had watched her young dog being attacked. SAGA is doing a good job but the problem maybe to big for them to handle. My only concern ONCE again, was the little girl.

Of course we care and are horrified about the little girl's dog being attacked. It is disgusting. We know of pets on leashes that have been attacked and killed in this manner. The only agency around that will help is Saga. So they need all the help and assistance that they can muster. It has taken decades to get past the whole dog poisoning method of culling the strays. And many of the "strays" belong to irresponsible pet owners. As Simon said, have you seen the Saga volunteers trying to reason with irresponsible pet owners? We need a little Man Power out there to give a little support. A few hours a week here and there. I feel sorry for the little girl, her pet, and everybody on this island that has to deal with the side effects of having to live with irresponsible pet owners.

Originally Posted by SFJeff
RE: Bear, thank you for so succinctly summarizing the "Homeowners Inviolate"... I think I will have that made into a sign for our front yard, but perhaps not worded so politely.

Jeff, You've accurately sussed the original wording. On my next drive north I guess I'll know which place is yours. Sympathy and condolences on the loss of your family member.

Last edited by Bear; 12/06/11 11:10 AM.
I agree with Diane.
When I first came here there were sick and dying dogs all around town.
The other problem here is that everyone talks about 'irresponsible dog owners.' It seems to me that most of these PROBLEM and DANGEROUS dogs are not owned by anyone. If they are running the streets and eating garbage I would say they are STRAYS and should be eliminated.

Instead of telling people to donate time and money to SAGA how about suggesting that they collar a dog and take it into SAGA. Then perhaps pay the cost of euthanasia. What would that cost be?

To be fair and safe have a form that could be signed stating that you know this to be a stray. That would relieve SAGA of possible claims of putting down an owned dog.

On another note. How about a program of education about spaying and neutering. The local (men especially) make it a personal issue. They seem to think it makes the dogs unhappy. Humm - maybe this education needs to be raised up to the human level as well. --- Don't attack me - just saying . . .

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
But if you rope the wrong dog and Saga puts it down then who is going to take the brunt of the anger when the "owner" shows up.

Saga isn't in the habit of putting down owned dogs.

How can you ascertain which animals are stray.

It's gonna be an uphill struggle at every level.

Originally Posted by Amanda Syme
But if you rope the wrong dog and Saga puts it down then who is going to take the brunt of the anger when the "owner" shows up.

Saga isn't in the habit of putting down owned dogs.

How can you ascertain which animals are stray.

It's gonna be an uphill struggle at every level.

Gotta agree with Amanda here...

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com
A
A
My wife and I were down a couple of weeks ago and made a $1000 donation to Saga to be used for spaying and neutering. Anyone care to match the donation?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.