Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#423255 - 11/25/11 01:43 PM Overnight bus and favourite hotels?
Tangles Offline
I am debating taking the overnight bus from Cancun to Belize City versus staying overnight in Tulum or Chetumal (our flight lands at 9:30am in Cancun) and then taking hte water taxi from Chetumal. We have never done this route before and travelling with a minor.

Has anyone done the overnight bus lately and how full was it? (we will have to just show up and wing it I guess since I can't pre-book the bus on-line).

If that proves too gruelling, I may stop over in Tulum or Chetumal. Anyone have any favourite hotels in either town to recommend that are not too expensive?

We are travelling in December before Xmas so I hope it's not too crazy...

#423265 - 11/25/11 09:46 PM Re: Overnight bus and favourite hotels? [Re: Tangles]
gecko_girl Offline
This recent blog is a very honest view of the bus journey - http://www.sanpedroscoop.com/2011/11/overnight-bus-from-belize-city-to.html. She also has a post on a recommended hotel in Tulum.

My view? - the bus to Tulum and then on to Chetumal and the water taxi would be way better than the overnighter and having to navigate Belize City.
HOT Guide Belize - now on your mobile phone! Info, events, discounts & more - www.hotguidebelize.com

#423438 - 11/28/11 11:55 AM Re: Overnight bus and favourite hotels? [Re: Tangles]
Tangles Offline
That's a great one! Not sure I feel like freezing all the way to Belize City.

Any recommendations on hotels in Tulum? I have one so far, but I don't know yet if it's full or not. And in case we catch the Chetumal bus, any hotels in the Chetumal someone can recommend?

#423444 - 11/28/11 12:29 PM Re: Overnight bus and favourite hotels? [Re: Tangles]
Tangles Offline
And why are they freezing people to death on their buses?? Does anyone ask for the AC to be turned down?? Surely they'd save on gas if the AC wasn't so high and what about the driver, isn't he cold???

"The bus is big and roomy and about the temperature of your home freezer...and that never changed. It was COLD. I had socks, a towel and a warm blanket and it was still close to unbearable. A woman from Canada sitting right across from me was close to tears by midnight. BRING WARM CLOTHES and lots of them."

#423447 - 11/28/11 12:42 PM Re: Overnight bus and favourite hotels? [Re: Tangles]
BrusselSprout Offline
Not sure why...perhaps to keep the driver awake? I've been on ADO buses 10+ times and it's always the same. And the driver can't turn it down.

#423467 - 11/28/11 03:05 PM Re: Overnight bus and favourite hotels? [Re: Tangles]
tortuga.chica Offline
I took the ADO from Playa to Chet a few months ago (August). Sooooo glad I was prepared with a blanket for the journey.
A hug is the shortest distance between friends. ~ Author Unknown

#423545 - 11/28/11 11:33 PM Re: Overnight bus and favourite hotels? [Re: Tangles]
Cooper Offline
Dosnt matter how full the bus is, you will have a reserved seat that reclines, movies are shown, usually a animated film included, we saw Shriek, in spanish. Buses are pretty comportable, but yes cold. This time of year most folks are coming from cold climates so already have some warm stuff with them.

#423623 - 11/29/11 12:11 PM Re: Overnight bus and favourite hotels? [Re: Tangles]
MisterB266 Offline
I've done only about a dozen or so ADO bus trips.

The a/c seems to have only 2 settings -- "off" and "freeze". On only a couple of trips, it's been set to "freeze" for the whole trip. More recently, I've been on buses where the driver continually turns the a/c on and off during the trip. There doesn't seem to be an intermediate setting.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Marty), 34 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,711 Topics
461,244 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.