Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S

Geeez, I hope my Sophia never becomes ill...However,in the survey I am certainly above the $5,000 mark.....

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com
C
C
Have you ever watched one of your children die? I have and I don't believe I could ever feel that kind of pain for any kind of animal. There is just no comparison between a human life and an animal.

C
C
I agree - animals are not children but they are still loved and give love in return. It's all relative you your economic situation but it's a good question to ask so if the situation arises you are prepared to either pay or humanly euthanize. I had a sick cat that was dear to me and it was either let him die or spend the $$$ taking him to the states for surgery. Fortunately we were able at the time to treat him and he is sitting on my lap purring right now. It's a tough call when the options are costly so better to discuss it before it's an emotional decision.

C
C
Catfish you are so right about thinking about it before it becomes an emotional decision. My commnets were made after reading what some people said at that website that seemed to indicate that there is no difference between animal life and human life. I would like to point out that $5000 would feed a lot of starving children in many poor countries throughout the world. BTW I am a farmer and have a strong love for animals, I just love humans more.

I love animals and I love human beings too (well maybe except for a few rather unlovable ones). Nevertheless, I believe that when you choose to take responsibility for a domestic animal, it is entirely dependent on you. Therefore, I believe that it is an ethical obligation to provide it with the best care possible. I would never criticise a pensioner who has to have an elderly cat put down because they can't afford chemotherapy for a terminal illness. Nor would I condemn a single parent who has to leave their animal at a humane society because they can't afford to pay for a broken leg to be repaired. But I don't think that people should choose to have the responsibility for an animal if they are not able/willing to provide for that animals' needs. Fortunately, in San Pedro, as well as in the UK, that doesn't need to happen. In San Pedro, we have SAGA, who will never let an animal suffer because its owners cannot afford the care it needs. Even stray dogs are given every chance, including chemotherapy if the prognosis and the chance of rehoming is good. In the UK, people who find themselves in financial hardship can take their animals to charity run animal hospitals for care and treatment. crockhunter, to you there is a difference between human life and animal life, but not to everyone. There is extensive research on attitudes to companion animals that indicate that many people grieve more for their pets than they do for their human loved ones and family members. Also, for many lonely and isolated people, a pet is the only 'person' in their life.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

Crockhunter...My deepest apologies. I never meant to imply that my children were less important than my animals, or for that matter any human to animal. I've been blessed with 3 healthy daughters...All now adults and all living healthy lives.....I simply thought about the article in relation to my beloved pet. Forgive me,,,My heart goes out to you.

Last edited by Judyann H.; 12/01/11 02:35 PM.

C
C
Judyann, no appology is necessary. I got a little worked up reading comments at the site you posted. I guess I'm more like the old cowboy in the westerns who would pull out his 45 and sadly shoot his favorite horse with a broken leg, then holster his gun and move on. When you grow up raising animals for a living, you view life from a little different perspective.
Collyk, I agree that you have an obligation to take care of an animal when you make it your pet. We are probably just a little farther apart on how much that obligation is, but we all have different opinions on many things, so I hope we can all live in the same world.

crockhunter, we may not be as far apart as you would think. I was just pointing out that the obligation exists - many don't seem to understand that part of animal ownership - and also that while some differentiate between pets and people, others do not and often it is some of the most vulnerable people in society who think of their pets as people. I'm sure you're an excellent animal carer - probably more attached and better at it than you'd care to admit. Many farmers are.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

Good Man Crockhunter.....I'm partial to old cowboys...We had a good size Ranch with lots of livestock including my 23 year old horse. When she got Cancer and I made an appointment at UC Davis Medical for her Chemo & Radiation my Father said he'd get her ready for travel.....Well somehow she died the night before. Years later my Father admitted saving me a fortune.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.