Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#424373 - 12/06/11 10:05 AM Ramon gets international award!
Marty Offline

International Legends of Diving Event honoring Ramon this past weekend

Ramon Nunez is the recipient of a lifetime award. Love TV’s Maria Novelo has the story.

#424377 - 12/06/11 10:22 AM Re: Ramon gets international award! [Re: Marty]
Judyann H. Offline
Congratulations My Friend!....Lots of Love to you from California....Myself, Tom & the girls.....
My friends call me Judyann

#424469 - 12/07/11 08:50 AM Re: Ramon gets international award! [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

Ramon Nuñez receives International Legends of Diving’s Giant Stride award

On Saturday December 3rd on the deck of the Pineapple’s restaurant at Ramon’s Village, long time diver and community icon, Mr. Ramon Nuñez was presented with the International Legends of Diving’s Giant Stride award. The award recognizes Nuñez’s contributions to the world of diving. Ramon Nuñez’s life story tells of his birth on a sailboat at sea on June 12, 1940. His passion for the sea was apparent at an early age. He attended school and finished the eighth grade before he left school to start his life at sea. Through the assistance of friend Jerry McDermott, Nuñez was sent to Houston, Texas USA where he was dive-certified at the Ocean Corporation.

According to Nuñez, he had already been diving prior to becoming certified therefore when he went to receive his diving course he already knew the basic fundamentals of diving. It was no surprise when he graduating at the top of his class.

In 1972, Nuñez was contracted by the Government of Belize, as the only certified native diver in the country, to guide internationally known, Jacques Cousteau during his visit to the country. He would guide Cousteau to the Blue Hole as well as to the cavern under Caye Caulker. According to Nuñez, “This was the experience of a lifetime! Dr. Jose Jones stated, “Ramon Nuñez’s achievements in the world of diving are indeed impressive: from being the first native of Belize to become a certified diver, to the honor of guiding Cousteau’s expedition into the world famous Blue Hole, he has certainly earned a place among the legends of diving”.

In speaking of his award, Nuñez stated; “I was so excited that last night I couldn’t even sleep. I was so excited about getting this award. It is the biggest thing that ever happened in my life. I had a lot of awards, but this is the biggest one, I feel so good. I think it pays to be a good diver. I dove in my life for 30 years and I still dive. This is great. Belize is one of the best places in the world to dive. We have so much different types of diving. There’s the great Blue Hole, wall diving, cannon diving, cave diving. I have been passionate about diving since I was a child. I love to dive. I dove 80 feet free diving for a living, when I was fishing for lobster. I encourage all divers in the country to keep diving because it is beautiful.”

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Sun

#424472 - 12/07/11 08:55 AM Re: Ramon gets international award! [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

Diving Legend Ramon Nuñez Sr. Awarded

The ceremony began with an inspiring speech by International Legends of Divers, Mr. Jeff Rice explaining why this prestigious handmade “blown glass” award in the shape of a diver was being given to Mr. Ramon Nuñez Sr. Hall of Fame Diving Legend and founder of Underwater Adventure Seekers (UAS) and National Association of Black Scuba Divers (NABs), Dr. Jose Jones stated that he was very honored to make it for this very important event and also to present the prestigious and unique award to an icon like Ramon. Before presenting the award he gave an excellent statement:

“Out of all the 60,000 dives I’ve done around the world, Belize has the best place ever for diving. Make sure to keep this beauty this way & save the reef,” stated Jones.

Besides receiving the Giant Strides Award, another award given by Hedricks and the staff of Ramon’s Village Resort was presented by Mr. Einer Gomez. The ceremony ended with a touching and inspiring speech by Mr. Angel Nuñez about the outstanding and interesting life of a Mayan boy and his contributions to San Pedro and Belize.

Nunez compared Ramon to King Midas. While everything the king touched turned to gold, everything Ramon touches becomes an immediate success because it touches the lives of thousands of people. This is the accomplishment of a humble Mayan boy, hence leading to the announcement of a book being written & published very soon about the legendary Mr. Ramon Nuñez Sr.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the Ambergris Today

#424516 - 12/07/11 10:53 AM Re: Ramon gets international award! [Re: Marty]
Brent Kirkman Offline
Congratulations Don Ramon!

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (3 invisible), 40 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,738 Topics
461,312 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.