Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Come on Amanda - Those of us who live here and witness the same scraggly dogs day after day in our neighborhood know when a dog does or does not belong to someone. Heck - we even know dogs from the other end of town. Most of the SAGA staff even knows dogs by their name too.

Since we are preaching for 'owners to be responsible' how could they have a legitimate claim if one of their unidentified dogs is taken in? I am sure SAGA will always err on the side of caution. That's why I suggested they have a form whereby the person who brought in the dog would have to sign. This way - if my neighbor was just p..s.ed at me s/he couldn't anonymously destroy my pet.

We do like to complain about our dog problems but so many tourists love how our dogs behave here.
How many of them 'adopt' one for the period of time they are here? How many of them make big fusses over our pot-lickers on the golf carts? Because our dogs are like our children and part of the family and not locked up and left at home they are way more socialized than US dogs. When left to sniff out each other they usually make friends and relax. Tourists are impressed.

Maybe we should take lessons from the dogs! (come here - I want to smell you - where you been - what did you have for lunch - who did you sleep with - ????) LOL

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
My dog is locked up at home, she is socialized with pampered paws, on a leash and then returned home. My neighbours and I all have dogs and love our pets and we all respect each other's boundaries and tolerance to noise.

I don't think it is cute to see stray animals wandering the street and beaches, pooping and humping and digging through garbage cans along the way. I think any dog that is allowed to run freely out of the control of their owner belongs to an irresponsible owner.

I think any dog wandering the beach or street without an owner is a stray.

But that's just me.

Originally Posted by Amanda Syme

But that's just me.

No it's not, Amanda. I'm with you. And I am sure there are others!

Emily

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com
Amanda - You are talking about the extreem and I don't think any of us like that. There is a middle of the road - so to speak.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
The problem with middle of the road is that the whole area is grey. When things get difficult people flip flop over the fence.

But I respectfully bow out of this conversation now - its not going anywhere.

L
L
I hope that generous donation goes directly to costs of spays and neuters...as I have said before and as the daughter of a vet that practiced for 50 years here in California, it is people that create this world wide problem.

S
S
With all due respect, ScubaLdy...... your dogs are a problem when they are not restrained by a fence or otherwise. It was not fun nor was it cute when they chased my golf cart recently as I rode by with my new puppy and dog. Maybe they were just trying to get to know them? Hmmmm

With a new pup living north of the bridge, I have had to be very very careful walking him, often picking him up when we go past certain chronically "problem dog homes". All of which has given me a new appreciation for SAGA and what they do.....

Last edited by SnoopysMom; 12/07/11 07:25 AM.
S
S
"To be fair and safe have a form that could be signed stating that you know this to be a stray. That would relieve SAGA of possible claims of putting down an owned dog."

Been done for years.

"On another note. How about a program of education about spaying and neutering."

Been done several times.

Be informed before making assumptions.

Thank you for the generous donation to SAGA - you've put your money in a good place.
As a resident of SP I am most grateful.
I don't have $1,000 to match your donation today, as we're headed to the Liberty Children's Home auction on Sunday and plan to make some bids there.
As always, SAGA is on our donation list tho - and in our wills.
Think about pre-planning a donation that way ......

Not everyone can afford to give $1000 to SAGA, but some can afford $100, and even more can afford to give $10 or a few hours of their time. I have donated to SAGA several times. It's a great cause and good folks.

Emily

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 295 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.