Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
Another tourist got run over yesterday at La Perla.
And i'm sure its just the start for the season, I don't blame the boats at all , its the tourist and the resorts.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Here is the boat / snorkeler safety information that Amanda referred to above:
//ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/418928

We warn/threaten/inform all of our guests..... but some of them just don't listen, like Elbert said, they are naive about what COULD happen. You hate to tell them about past incidents, but want to warn them all the same. I agree with taking down boat names/numbers and will start telling guests who see this kind of behaviour to do the same.

Change your Latitude
I agree with Elbert that it's the responsibility is on the resorts and hotels to inform the guests, but not only they should inform guests. Everybody, including the privately rented houses should inform tourists that snorkelling in the boat lanes is extremely dangerous and not allowed. Signs on the docks is a good idea; I'll start working on that.
Jan

Originally Posted by elbert
Another tourist got run over yesterday at La Perla.
And i'm sure its just the start for the season, I don't blame the boats at all , its the tourist and the resorts.

Oh My God - details please Elbert -----

We heard from the victim's family (they came her for dinner) the father was run over yesterday by Coastal Xpress, one of his legs is severely injured but it looks like he is not going to loose it. He got flown out to Belize City today. He is a father of 2 travelling with his kids, wife and another couple, they rented a house at La Perla del Caribe. Sad, hope they will include the snorkelling do-s and do not-s in the information books at their houses.
Jan

Thank you for the info Jan. this is obviously upsetting news and a situation that must be taken seriously by the tourism industry. We all know that our visitors are not fully aware of the dangers of swimming in the same areas where boats are running.

We will need a major campaign to ensure that every visitor is told about the do's and don'ts.

The tour guide association and port authority and coast guard will need to step up and focus on more awareness training for captains a nd spotters too.

I am relieved to hear that this man hasn't lost his life and hopefully won't lose a limb.

They didn't go Belize City,no need, they decided to go home yesterday. He will not lose his leg.

That is fantastic news. Thanks for the info Natalie.

BTB registrar of hotels needs to mandate a appropriate warnings as part of the licensing program for rental properties.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.