Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
Its going to be up to the Hotels and Resorts to stop. really no way other than warnings by the resorts.
The responsibility is on the resorts and hotels not cautioning guests.
Tourist are inherently naive/stupid about going swimming off the docks.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
S
S
It's ridiculous the amount of people I have seen doing this near our dock (not off our dock) over the last few weeks. Even more ridiculous are the jet skis running right off the ends of the docks even to the point of running through Ramon's snorkeling area on a regular basis. Whoever is responsible for the rentals should be held responsible for anyone getting hurt. Many boat captains are being total idiots as well around the Ramon's dock.

S
S
Where is our Coast Guard? Isn't that their area of responsibility?

elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
Jesse, You been here too long to have that be a serious comment, no Belize entity is going to do anything about this, there will be no laws made or enforced that will have any effect. The only thing that will be effective is stern serious warnings from those with hotels and resorts.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
S
S
i was thinking more of the behaviour of the boats and jet skis

Coast guard is out there but just like the cops and traffic officers- they can't be everywhere all of the time.

We will need to make reports like we do against taxis. Time, date and boat number. Enough complaints and tour guides can be sanctioned and probably boat captains too.

Regarding jet skis, I guess we need to look long and hard at allowing tourists to rent these machines if they can't be responsible. Or set up a boring course for them to be contained. I HATE how they destroy the peace and come into the swim zones by the piers. And yet you can have a great time offshore with jet skis and easily go to Caye Caulker or west or north of town to explore.

C
C
Seems if every dock had a posted warning regarding swimming in the area, like every restaurant has the no smoking sign, it would at least be informative. Simple thing to do..

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
SACNW made a basic flyer, on for guests and one for tour operators to help make visitors aware of the dangers. The flyer is posted on this board. I will try and find the link and repost it here.

BTB was making a ton of posters for docks - wonder where they are?
I'll call Kevin G today and ask what happened to this initiative.

PS - during the national regatta of little kids in boats, the same water taxi that ran over the tourists ran right directly between the race course and a dock ---- IMHO these guys don't give a damn - that race was EASY to see, and the operators had been notified in advance to stay clear of the area. It makes my blood boil.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 270 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.