Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Several Harpy eagles have been discovered in Belize's Maya Mountains for the first time in 60 years. The eagles were believed extinct in the country, due to habitat loss and overhunting.

"This is incredibly significant for bird conservation in the region. It shows that our work in Belize is effective; protecting wildlife and habitat from overhunting and disturbance, while also sending a positive message about the benefits of conservation to the local communities," said Lee McLoughlin, Protected Areas Manager for the Ya'axch� Conservation Trust. (Source: Fauna-flora.org)

A pair of adult Harpy eagles and a chick were spotted inhabiting a nest. The fact they have reproduced should indicate they are healthy and have enough food sources to continue living a normal life span. There may be two other eagles in the same area, as one source said five were spotted by wildlife observers.

The newly discovered couple may be the most northerly breeding pair of Harpy eagles. The species also used to live as far north as Mexico, but it is thought they were mainly wiped out there. They may now only dwell in Chiapas, Oxaca and Veracruz in southern Mexico, but the populations are so small, they cannot be reliably confirmed.

The Maya mountains are believed to have some of the oldest rock formations in Central America. Some of them are estimated to be 200 million years old. The forested area is a good habitat for Harpy eagles. Some parts of the area are protected in a continuous corridor all the way to the Caribbean Sea. Other animals in these nature preserves are: jaguars, crocodiles, West Indian manatees, lobsters, conch, scarlet macaws and parrots. There are also 220 tree species and 350 bird species. Mahogany and cedar are some of the dominant trees, but these are highly sought for commercial value, and some were taken for industry during the 20th century.

Planet Green

C
C
The Harpy Eagle is such a beautiful thing to see. As I always say. I am not a Zoo person, but The Belize Zoo is incredible...my favorite has always been the Harpy Eagle..and of course Junior, the baby Jag..he is all grown up now and so beautiful.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
B
B
cooper, I totally agree with you. I am not a zoo person at all but I LOVE the belize zoo. No one should miss it on a visit to Belize. The harpy eagle almost looks fake. You wouldn't believe such a huge, perfectly grey and fluffy bird exists. HUGE.

Fabulous news for the species, they are indeed amazing birds...I wish I was 20 years younger and the GOB was ammenable to governemnt sponsored volunteer wardens...

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.