Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

(2-foot wide Octopus during a night dive off Turneffe Caye, Belize)

Kimberly and I headed to Belize in November for our first dive trip in well over a year (we're not letting that happen again!) and spent a week on the Belize Aggressor III liveaboard dive boat. Doing liveaboards is the only way to dive - eat, sleep, and dive for 7 days! I did a bunch of courses during the week, including my very-long-overdue Nitrox and Advanced Open Water certifications, and 26 dives to make it up to 122 total dives. I managed to tick something off my bucket-list - diving the famous Blue Hole (down to 140 feet!). I also took a lot of photos!

Here I present my favorites from the week. Click on a photo for a 1024x768 enlargement.

Below: Lizardfish; 3-ft Grouper who liked to be stroked.

Below: Kimberly with her new camera rig; 5-ft barrel sponges.

Below: mated pair of Banded Coral Shrimp; very small (1-inch long) Secretary Blennie that Kimberly found.

Below: juvenile File Fish (about 2 inches) during a night dive; Brittle Star during a night dive.

Below: Basket Star during a night dive - these guys are fun to feed by holding a light just by them and all the little worms and critters in the water swim to the light and and the Basket Star catches them; Brittle Stars in a barrel sponge during a night dive.

Below: Large (9-inch shell) hermit crab; White-Speckled Nudibranch (about two inches long) I was lucky enough to spot in a sea-grass and soft coral forest.

Below: Swimming with 8-ft Black-Tipped Reef Sharks - we really were that close!; looking up at a big shark.

Below: the same shark again; swimming with a school of Jacks.

Below: Speckled Moray warning me off; large (8-ft) Green Moray.

Below: Now the Green Moray has seen me - Morays have terrible eyesight; a Jawfish - these guys live in little burrows in the sand and are very shy - I spent 1/2 hour lying on the sand waiting for this shot.

Below: Lobster during a night dive - with mood lighting; solitary Banded Coral Shrimp during a night dive.

Below: 4-inch Large-Eye Shrimp burrowing into the sand during a night dive; Speckled Toadfish during a night dive - these are really weird looking fish - very flat and wide - and extremely rare!

Below: Octopus (same one as the picture at the start of the post) during a night dive.

SQLSkills.com

Really great!!! Makes you want to strap on that tank and DIVE!!! smile

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
Nice shots!
Where was the shark?

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Great spotting! You've sure got a good eye for a diver who claims only 122 dives. Got any more pics for us?

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.