HERE'S THE STORY:

Introduction: Belize is a wonderful little country that is located east of Guatemala and is nestled beneath the Yucatán Peninsula of Mexico. Like many countries in Central America, Belize is a hot spot of biodiversity and is home to 37 species of amphibians. Little is known about the amphibians of Belize and more studies are needed to understand the current status regarding their conservation.  However, Belize is a developing country and many of these species are under threat of extinction from habitat destruction and the threat of the nefarious Chytrid Fungus, which has already driven many Central American species to extinction.

The Plan: During my time in Belize, I plan to travel around the country to broaden the mission of SAVE THE FROGS by protecting amphibian populations and promoting a society that respects and appreciates nature and wildlife.  Much of my travels are paid out of my own pocket, so I am starting a fundraiser to help my amphibian conservation efforts in Belize! 

1. On January 15th, I will be giving a presentation about the Amphibian Extinction Crisis at the National Zoo of Belize. I will have the opportunity to educate staff, volunteers, and zoo patrons about the threats facing amphibians in Belize and around the world. I will also be able to explain what they can do to help amphibians in their country.

2. I will be visiting a small Mayan village called Blue Creek where I will distribute educational materials about amphibian conservation to the local school. I hope to give a presentation to the students about the WILD WORLD OF FROGS!

3. I am trying to raise $250 to fund a Save The Frogs Day event in Belize on April 28th, 2012, to celebrate amphibians and bring awareness to their conservation.

4. Rally scientists and university students and professors to become more involved in getting the word out about the Amphibian Extinction Crisis and to have them contributing towards the mission of SAVE THE FROGS.

5. Upon my return, I will add all my photos and lots of information on Belize's amazing amphibians to the SAVE THE FROGS! Belize webpage.

To learn more: 

My Gratitude and Appreciate:  With your support, I am able to bring my passion for amphibian conservation to Belize. Thank you so much for your support!

LINK