Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

What's Behind that Giant Wall? San Pablo Neighborhood

I have lived in San Pedro for about five years now and I am still mildly confused by the names of the different neighborhoods.  San Mateo, Escalante, Tres Cocos, Boca Del Rio, Alta Mar...there are plenty of them.  And I can only think how dizzying it is to people that have just moved to the island or those who are looking to move here.

Right next to "my area" (which I think is Escalante) is the San Pablo neighborhood.  And since I had two errands to do there yesterday, I thought I'd check it out.  Plus...I've always been intrigued by the huge white wall that circles most of the area.  What's back there?  Okay, it says a residential community.  But it seems to be empty.  What is REALLY there?  Nuclear testing area?  Small but hidden cattle ranch?  Leper colony?   Time to peep in.

But let's start with the side of the neighborhood that borders the main street, Coconut Drive.   The wall runs from Marina's Store all the way around to Banyan Bay.

Marina's is done up for Christmas.
Across from Marina's, San Pedro's famous Lion has opened a BBQ shop.  He used to do it on the beach outside major night time hot spots (Wet Willy's or Big Daddy's) and has been known to serve some special items like deer or gibnut.   You might want to try it.
Next is Super Buy South is Antojito's, a great local food restaurant.  They do yummy soup each day for lunch.  Keep your eyes peeled for my favorite:  conch soup.  $10bzd and you will be eating two meals of rice, conch and cilantro coconut milky deliciousness.
And running behind all of those businesses on the west side of the street is my mystery wall.  The Great White Wall.

Click here to read the rest of this excellent article and see more photos, as San Pedro Scoop gives you a great walking tour of San Pablo.

B
B
Merry Xmas everyone. Thanks for reading my blog...I appreciate it.

Thanks Sprouts... we have the San Pedro Scoop bookmarked - it's the first thing we go to in the morning... finding out what we missed the night before!

Mathieu's Delicatessen

Gunter the original & best.... baker, chef: breads, breakfast, lunch, FOOD!
There is a map of all the various sections on the wall at the Police Station. I know how confusing these areas were for me until I saw the map. The Neighborhood Watch (I think North) put it together and presented to the police a few years ago.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
B
B
I mentioned that one in the blog...but didn't know it had the neighborhood names! After 5 years, I still don't know the "real" names of Front and Middle Street...that map would be very handy on my wall too.

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 144 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,202
Posts500,026
Members20,466
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.