Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses
BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Topic Options
#426234 - 12/28/11 01:58 PM PHOTOS: Go Slow on Caye Caulker
Marty Offline

Go Slow on Caye Caulker, Belize’s Caribbean Hideaway

Located a short flight or ferry from the capital Belize City, Caye Caulker is one of the most popular islands in Belize. Although it’s the second largest of the Belizean cayes, it’s still only 4 miles long with the village section only stretching about a mile long.

Visitors quickly learn that life moves a little slower on this chilled out Caribbean island!

Below are 20 pictures from our trip to Caye Caulker

Caye Caulker Airstrip

The Caye Caulker airstrip and airport terminal. Baggage claim is the purple cart.
This is by far the smallest airport we’ve ever visited!

The slogan of Caye Caulker – “Go Slow”
This street mural greets visitors at the small ferry terminal

The dock in front of Tsunami Adventures
Check out our snorkeling trip with Sharks, Sting Rays and Manatees

Fresh Fruit Stand - Caye Caulker, Belize

Fresh fruit juice from a local street vendor

Caribbean Jerk Chicken - Caye Caulker, Belize

Delicious plate of Caribbean Jerk Chicken

The Canadian Sports Bar - Caye Caulker, Belize

The Canadian beach bar where we spent our evenings watching the Vancouver Canucks playoff games

Another Day at the Office - Caye Caulker, Belize

Just another day at the office on Caye Caulker

Dock Hammocks - Caye Caulker, Belize

Shaded hammocks on one of several docks.
If you’re looking for golf or tennis resorts, Caye Caulker might not be the island for you

Class is in Session - Caye Caulker, Belize

Children attending an outdoor classroom on the beach

Parking Lot on Caye Caulker, Belize

Island transportation. There are no cars on the island, only bikes and golf carts

The Lazy Lizard - Caye Caulker, Belize

The popular Lazy Lizard beach bar at the Caye Caulker Split

Catamaran - Caye Caulker, Belize

Soft pastel Belizean sunset

Sunset on the Dock - Caye Caulker Belize

Dock at sunset – the perfect place to end another day in paradise

Boat Caye Caulker B&W

Small fishing boat in front of a Dive Shop

Belikin Beer, Caye Caulker, Belize

Cold Belikin Beer at sunset – the beer of choice in Belize

The Main Street at Night - Caye Caulker, Belize

The main street at night – this is about as busy as it gets!

Caye Caulker at Night

The beachfront super market at night

Caye Caulker, Belize

A couple returning from a snorkeling trip to Hol Chan Marine Reserve

LightHouse Lager, Caye Caulker, Belize

Afternoon happy hour at a beach beer – a favourite past time on Caye Caulker!

Sunset at the Split - Caye Caulker, Belize

Enjoying the sunset at the Lazy Lizard

TravelingCanucks.com

#426248 - 12/28/11 05:44 PM Re: PHOTOS: Go Slow on Caye Caulker [Re: Marty]
joey2angels Offline
Great looking pics Marty.

#427380 - 01/11/12 12:13 AM Re: PHOTOS: Go Slow on Caye Caulker [Re: Marty]
Johan Eltes Offline
Very nice pics!

#427963 - 01/16/12 01:46 PM Re: PHOTOS: Go Slow on Caye Caulker [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

Island Paradise on Caye Caulker

After leaving Chile I thought I had seen the back of my last nightbus for a while but apparently not as it was an 8hr one from Playa del Carmen to Belize City. It was ok but getting out the bus at 4am to go across the border isn’t nice…when we did get there we found out via the locals that they has been a charge to enter the country put in place from the 1stJan but if you say you don’t have any money then you don’t have to pay, I got to the front said I had no money and my passport was stamped and I was in….obviously not a strict rule!

It was 8am when we arrived in Belize City and from the moment we got into Belize it was weird how different it is from Mexico…they could be opposite sides of the world….the places I went in Mexico were touristy so that may be a reason but the roads in the Belize aren’t upto much and the suspension on the bus took a bit of a hammering. All the roads on route to Belize City were lined with trees and there was greenery as far as

the eye could see. Arrival to Belize City was completely different though, immediately after getting off the bus we had a guy offering to walk us to the boat…at first we were unsure and thought it was best to get a taxi but we soon found out that getting a taxi seemed to be more dangerous or not such a good idea as they tend to send you round the houses to make some extra cash. With not having much sleep and everyone just wanting to get to the boat we accepted the guys invitation to walk us to the boat as he seemed a helpful and nice enough. The people here are like no other I have come across so far…they are soo laid back, nothing is a hassle, they all want to help you….but a lot of the time it leads to an offer from them to buy some substances off them but if you kindly decline they are fine with that (im sure they get their fair share of takers though!) normally they will just say in their Caribbean accent ‘no worries maaan, have a good day yeeah’. We started walking with Richard (the guy from the

station) and he began giving us the low down on the city…he was dressed in baggy Rasta gear and was completely chilled out, not many teeth in his mouth along with quite a few of the locals. When we set off he started by saying ‘all the taxi drivers are gonna hate me man’ just as we walked past a few. We continued walking over a bridge then onto the main high street, the 5 of us were the only white people around so it was a strange feel, the town has a lot of old wooden buildings, narrow dusty streets and a fair few shifty characters. Richard seemed to know them all though with him saying ‘im like the president around here man…everybody knows me’ which we all found quite funny, we passed a Police officer and Richard says ‘see this man guys I used to go ta school with him we are all brothers around here’ the Cop then said ‘make sure you take them the quickest way ay Richard’ and Richard was like ‘yeah no worries man we on route now’. A woman shouted to him further down the road and his response was ‘yeah come see

me in ma office later darlin’ we had all seen his ‘office’ and im not sure if thats the right word for it. After walking for around 15mins he took us to a cash point that we needed and then took us to the boat so he turned out to be a good help and the little tip he wanted at the end was well earnt and we ended up where we needed to be with no problems. We then had an hour and a half’s wait before the boat leaves to Caye Caulker which is an island 1hr away, after reading and listening to other people we decided not to stay in the Belize City and I think that was a good decision.

We arrived in Caye Caulker via the boat which was fairly small and they had crammed as many people as possible into it so was a friendly journey for everyone ha. The moment we stepped off the boat the island looked like paradise, sun beaming, bright turquoise waters as far as you can see and a palm tree covered coastline. Our first task was to find somewhere to stay…we had looked on the internet before

but you can’t book on there for some reason, also we read a few websites and it says you just turn up and they are so many places to stay you just find one for your budget. As soon as we stepped foot on land we had a local on a push bike saying he can help us sort out where we needed to go, we said we would walk but he still decided to follow us…we tried 2 places that were full up then asked the guy if he knew any other cheap places. He managed to find us a place that has ended up being perfect, all 5 of us are in 1 room but have our own beds and we are right on the beach by the sea with a few hammocks right by the sea…perfect! Costing us only around £4-5 each we knew it was definitely a place to stay for a while.

The first few days were spent relaxing and swimming in the sea. We walked around the 3 main roads the island has as it is only 5miles long and not very wide at all. The main area is probably only 1 mile

long where there are restaurants, shops, bars and tour desks along with a fair few Rasta’s offering you all sorts. On the first night we ventured to the Lazy Lizard bar which is close to our beach hut place, its right on the water and a popular place, the night after it was our first visit to the Ocean Side night club…the place is more like a beach cafe inside with a pole and a dance floor. When we got in there were only around 20 people in there, it’s quite a small place with some benches as you walk in, a bar on your left then the dance floor on the right. All 5 of us were impressed with some of the locals and their pole dancing skills even with them not being the lightest of girls…I think it was best admired from a distance! One of the best things yet was the morning after when me and Alfie decided to go for some breakfast and saw a sign for a place called Wish Willy’s the breakfast list on the board looked good so we went down the lane to the place, walked into the little garden they

have there and sat down then a big Rasta came over…I asked him if he had a menu and his response was ‘na f*ck that sh*it, what you want? eggs? toast? sh*it like that?’ me and Alfie where a bit shocked and found it funny so we just said ‘yeah sound whatever you want’. While that was cooking another bloke came up and asked us if we wanted a drink, we asked for orange juice but think we got mango, he came over and said ‘you better try that…let me know if its ok cos I don’t do drinks’. When the food came it was really good we had toast, eggs, tomato, onions, potatoes so was better than what we thought we might get…he did say he would have chucked some beans in but they ran out. When we finished we went up to him and asked him how much and he just said call it 13 dollars so we paid and left….definitely a breakfast I won’t forget in a while ha!

A few days relaxing and we were ready to book our snorkelling trip which we had all been looking forward to, after chatting to some American staying

at the same place as us we had a company called RaggaMuffin recommended to us. We went and checked it out and signed up for the following day. It was only me, Karl and Alfie doing the snorkelling as the girls preferred to catch some more rays and save their money. The following day we showed up and got our equipment before everyone who had signed up got split into 3 groups as there are 3 boats, we were all in the red boat called the Reggae King which also seemed the biggest. We set off around 11am and it took an hour to sail to our first snorkel spot, our 2 captains where pretty cool both sporting the dreads and were typical Belizeans…we listened to some reggae music and sat on the edge of the boat. We got to our first snorkel spot jumped in and had a look around, the area we where snorkelling was around the barrier reef which is the 2ndlargest in the world. Alfie hadn’t snorkelled before so it took him a while to get used to the snorkel with him inhailing sea water everytime funny when it’s not you but we have all

been there! We saw all sorts of different fish and the visibility was incredible at this point we had been in the water only a few minutes when I saw Karl, and his camera had stopped working so he wasn’t best pleased so the pressure was now on me to get good pics as Alfie didn’t have an underwater camera. We got back on board after an hour snorkelling for some lunch which was rice and fish before the main event on the trip…Shark and Stingray Alley. When we got there we had to wait for one of the tour blokes Jaylee (who has dreads down to his calf’s) to go in first as we have to all stick together, he jumped in with some food to get the attention of the Sharks and Stingrays….I would be lying at this point if I said I wasn’t a little nervous knowing I was going in the water with these things. Karl went in straight after Jaylee and I followed, as soon as you look under the water there are these massive fishes which look quite angry but they don’t do anything and it was fine, we swam around the other side

of the boat where the fish, stingrays and a shark were gathered around Jaylee…everyone from the boat was now in the water and looking under at the amazing creatures. We each took turns to dive down and try and get a picture next to them but also trying to get not too close as the massive stingray which is apparently a Caribbean Ray kept swimming around and I didn’t want to get caught by it. At one point Jaylee went down and picked the shark up turned it over and let people touch it which was good to witness and he was also feeding the stingrays. It has to be one of the best things I have done so far and not something you can do every day! We then got back on the boat to go to our final stop which was only a 5 min sail, both tour guides came in with us and we split into 2 groups so we can snorkel right by the reef. The water was around head height by the boat but when we swam towards the reef a bit it got a lot deeper but you could still see quite a lot.

Jaylee then started telling us the names of nearly all the fish we were seeing which were impossible to remember, after around 20mins we got to a shallower bit again and spotted another shark along with a spotted ray before seeing a sea turtle which we weren’t allowed within 10 meters of just to give it some space, it was amazing to see as it swam to the surface and back down just meters away from us. It was then time to get back on the boat and head back to Caye Caulker or ‘Key Corker’ as it sounds like when the locals talk. We were given some rum punch for the trip back so we kicked back and relaxed on the boat with some more reggae tunes.

With this place being quite cheap and there being no reason to leave we booked a few more nights to enjoy the island life. After the snorkelling we all had a siesta or should a say nap seeing as I am in an English speaking country? Then we went to the Reggae Bar which is supposed to be the place to go on the island. All 5 of us went with

Corinna and Sonia keen for a night out after just sunbathing for the past few days. The bar had everything you would expect with Bob Marley plastered all over the walls and bright green, yellow and red colours everywhere. It got pretty busy after 11pm and we stayed till around 12ish before going to Ocean Side for another visit. The next day we hired some push bikes to see the rest of the island which doesn’t have much apart from a strip of grass which is the air strip along with the firestation which was a shed with 1 truck, along the way we saw Rasta Bob who we had seen a lot during our time here with him shouting out his famous ‘jolly good f*ckin show mate’ in his attempted English accent to us as we passed by…he always seems to be around our place trying to sell weed to any takers around the area, after riding around the island once we only used the bikes to be lazy and go to the supermarket and back.

A week has now passed so we feel it’s time to move although we could easily stay a lot longer, Corinna’s friend

Mima has now joined us for a bit so I think we are all going to go to our next stop together which is San Ignacio in Belize.

Can safely say that Caye Caulker is right up there with my favourite places so far had some great times with everyone and more than a few funny moments…

TravelBlog.org

#428109 - 01/17/12 02:42 PM Re: PHOTOS: Go Slow on Caye Caulker [Re: Marty]
Marty Offline

Traveling has become almost a norm for my family and I. It’s true, I’m the one pushing everyone either in the car or plane, but when we get to the different locations we’re all equally excited about it. Needless to say, we have seen and done a lot! But never, in all these years of traveling with my family, have we actually fallen so in love with a place that now that we’re back all we can think of is how to be able to either move there or spend 1-2 months of the year.

This is what happened to us on Caye Calker, Belize!

6531995237 ce2304e3f9 I Love Caye Calker   Can I Live Here Forever?

Luckily for us, we also had an ideal place to stay while visiting this precious two mile island where Rastas, locals, fishermen and travelers enjoy the truly simple, relaxed life!

6531711493 ceb658c8d8 I Love Caye Calker   Can I Live Here Forever?

Caye Reef is one of the newer hotels in the area. What’s great about this small and unique hotel is that it’s all one or two bedroom apartments – fully furnished and all with fantastic views!

6532137045 b6b126009e I Love Caye Calker   Can I Live Here Forever?

We had the two bedroom apartment. And I swear, I was ready to move it right away. We had our own private internet service and cell phone was given to us if we needed anything. But it was the layout that was the key. The living room and large, fully equipped kitchen all looked out onto the blue blue waters.

6532103263 a61c64ebd0 I Love Caye Calker   Can I Live Here Forever?

The porch with a hammock was perfect way to still be part of the island when my baby took his afternoon naps.

6532097467 87fac10c5b I Love Caye Calker   Can I Live Here Forever?

The bedrooms were in the back and designed in a way that you couldn’t hear anything from the living room area.

6532108459 fa09cfdd1b I Love Caye Calker   Can I Live Here Forever?

The entire island is around 2 miles, with the most amount you need to walk is about 15 minutes to the other end of the busy section of the island. We were right in the center of it all. We were two minute walk from the Split which is an area that the island separated back during one of their worst hurricanes. In my opinion, it’s one of the best places on the island. And we were less than five minutes from the main restaurant areas. The upside to this we didn’t hear any of the noise if they stayed opened past 9 which is our bedtime since we have kids.

6531547421 9ed67ac9e3 I Love Caye Calker   Can I Live Here Forever?

I’m not sure if staying in this ready-to-move-in apartment or if the island is truly that inviting, but I can’t wait to go back!

Thanks Stewart for a great stay!

LINK

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,016 Topics
462,196 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day