Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#42666 - 08/02/01 11:53 AM New dog in town
Time is near to move to AC and we can't leave the rottweiler behind since he is part of the family. Anyone who knows about transporting a dog through Mexico and into Belize, please help with info. He can't fly because he is 110+lbs. We plan to drive down but need to get the necessary documents, records, etc. You can either respond to the board or e-mail us scubahooters@earthlink.net

[This message has been edited by SCUBAHOOTERS (edited 08-02-2001).]

#42667 - 08/02/01 12:24 PM Re: New dog in town
Florian Offline
Who's a lucky dog? Not sure if it's the pup or you ;-) Hope you enjoy the drive. I'm thinking of making it myself .... bought a Jeep yesterday .... thinking about seeing if I can drive it to the Panama Cannel and back. For no particular reason other then I retire in two weeks, and have the time to do something like this for the first time in my life. Comments pro and con are most welcome.

My mother took one look at the Jeep and announced her coviction that I am indeed going through a mid-life crisis. I told her to be thankfull it's not a red Vette.

I'll be very interested to hear of your experiences. I have a dog that is, well, what I call a bandana dog. Super well mannered, plays frisby, loves cats, trustworthy with small children. I can put a bandana around her neck and she'll leave it (show of her new pretty is more like it). She has the temperment to travel, stays at my side like glue no matter where we go. So keep us posted on your experience traveling with your pooch, please.

#42668 - 08/02/01 01:50 PM Re: New dog in town
margarita Offline
Don't know about Mexico, but this is what I found on the belize.net forum - just do a search for dog.
4/12/2001 She will need to get a permit to import her pet from a vet in Belize. Here's information about a vet that I contacted when we took our dog with us to Belize last fall. I spoke with him by email and on the phone. If he doesn't reply to email within a week, I'd phone him. He's really nice and helpful (so is his wife Miriam, who I also spoke with on the phone). Michael DeShield,Animal Medical Centre, phone 501-2-33781 or deshield@btl.net She will also need to get a Health Certificate from her current vet which lists all the vaccinations and the current condition of the animal. I believe these need to be dated no more than 72 hours of the date when she begins her journey with the dog (we drove from Madison, WI so the trip took 7 days). I also brought all my dog's medical records with me, just in case I needed to get any treatment for her while we were in Belize. At customs at the border we were never asked for any information, even though I kept asking if they wanted to see it, it just seemed that as long as I had the stuff it was fine. I wouldn't risk it though and just bring whatever Dr. Deshield thinks she needs. Good luck!

#42669 - 08/03/01 12:41 AM Re: New dog in town
bleisa Offline
We drove to Belize via Mexico with our dog in tow. A pretty big undertaking as he required almost more paperwork than what we did. Dr. Deshields faxed us the necessary Belize requirments (health form) with a fee of $15 US (our US check was accepted). Our vet at the State University did their end of the paper work which was numerous vaccinations and signatures. In the long run, we found that none of the hoops we jumped through ment much, at least through Mexico. Keep in mind, dogs south of the US boarder are not looked upon as useful animals. Hotels absolutley refused to let him in with us, and he's a small/medium dog. We quickly learned how to sneak him in and took him out for potty breaks only after dark. At the Belize boarder they grilled me on Rabis like I was an idiot with no idea that I probably know a great deal more about it than the customs agent did. There was a $5 fee for letting him in with us. Dr. Deshields was extremly nice when we departed as once again we had to jump the hoops with more paperwork. Getting the dog to the island was a huge problem! Tropic insisted on putting him in cargo or he couldn't come along. We refused and hired a fishing boat to transport us from Belize City to our pier where we were preparing to build our home. I imagine traveling with a large dog as yours, you will probably have the same logistic problems as we had, but where there's a will, there's a way. When we were leaving the country (right after Hurricane Keith struck) we met up with a medical school couple who were trying to get their dobberman out of the country without health papers. At that time Dr. S only came to the island on Saturday a.m. I have no idea how it turned out for them. If I can help you any further, email me at bleisa@byelectric.com

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 52 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,718 Topics
461,262 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.