Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#426762 01/05/12 05:17 AM
L
LSC Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Urgent!!!! I am a Canadian and have been trying to figure out how to bring spending money to San Pedro.
I have an American Dollar Mastercard from BMO which is a Canadian bank. Are there ATM machines in San Pedro that I can use to access cash?
OR does anyone have other advice?

LSC #426771 01/05/12 08:09 AM
Hon Offline
Yes, there are many ATMs in San Pedro...in all the banks and also freestanding in several locations. We do our banking at Scotiabank both in Canada and Belize so we don't pay any fees but you will likely be charged between $3 and $5 per transaction. Because of that, I advise that you take the full amount allowed in order to keep the fees to a minimum.
Bring a few hundred $US cash(if you can, get a couple of $1s (for tips)and $5s (beer, taxis, snacks)) to get you started and you'll hit the ground running.

Newfoundlanders are the only people in heaven who want to go home.
Hon #426781 01/05/12 08:29 AM
Just bring lots and lots of greenbacks and flaunt them in front of everyone at the bars. Then walk home by yourself at 3 AM. No worries.

Dr Walkabout Buzzard

I have a couple of questions too.

Generally what is the max BZ$ that one get out in a transaction or the daily limit?

In MX ATM's often ran out of cash so going to the bank while slower was more reliable than being empty handed. Is this a concern in AC?

We generally purchase local currency and bring it down, but we've discovered the service charge at the currency houses here in Edmonton is too high to make bringing BZ$ down practical so we'll begin with some USD and then rely on the local ATM's.

thanks a bunch for your help
Ann y Lorne aka SayNo2Sonw

For my many trips to Belize I have always brought US Travellers Cheques ($20's mostly) and never had a problem. Most tours accepted them as payment and the hotels would cash for me. Maybe things have changed?

LSC #426901 01/06/12 09:07 AM
It still works that way Wendy.

Originally Posted by Wendy
For my many trips to Belize I have always brought US Travellers Cheques ($20's mostly) and never had a problem. Most tours accepted them as payment and the hotels would cash for me. Maybe things have changed?

Just make sure to have your passport on hand as they will normally want to see that when you cash them.

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com
Originally Posted by BeBelize
Originally Posted by Wendy

Just make sure to have your passport on hand as they will normally want to see that when you cash them.

FYI, It's not really a good idea to carry your passport. You should make color copies of the 2 main pages and both of you should carry both copies for ID.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
LSC, I'm a Canadian that visits San Pedro regularly. Travelers Cheques are a huge pain in the butt. Don't bother. Bring some US cash from home to get you started, along with your regular ATM card. My BofM card works just fine at Belize Bank. Can't remember the exact amount of BZE dollars it dispenses but I'm thinking the BZE $ maximum for each withdrawal is $500 BZE, which is equivalent to $250 US. I generally chose to do a double withdrawal just so's not to have to go back to the ATM machine quite as often. Like I said, for some reason, can't remember exact amount, maybe it is only $250 BZE, which might be why I do two withdrawals.

Everyone takes US $, but will give you change in BZE $, which may be a bit confusing initially, especially if you've been drinking a few Belikin or rum punches. Just to help mess you up a bit more, sometimes the change comes in a combination of BZE $ and US $. But very soon, you will catch on and it is often better to use the BZE $, as soon and as often as you can.

Just remember, unless you are planning to come back to BZE soon and/or often, try not to accumulate too many BZE $ towards the END of your trip. As you come up on the end of your trip, start asking for change in US dollars, whenever possible. At the last few days of your trip, try to spend up all your BZE $ without accumulating more BZE change.

Another thing you might find helpful, is to put away the money for your exit fee (that is unless it has already been included in the price of your airline ticket).

Have a wonderful trip.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.