Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#427753 - 01/14/12 04:51 AM bargaining with vendors?
dawg Offline
We have been to Mexico several times and it is expected to bargain. How about in San Pedro? 70 sleeps to go. Dawg

#427759 - 01/14/12 10:25 AM Re: bargaining with vendors? [Re: dawg]
seashell Offline
It's just not the same. Be calm, you'll see.

#427805 - 01/14/12 05:20 PM Re: bargaining with vendors? [Re: dawg]
Bear Offline
I think Seashell is trying to prepare you for the fact that you have to beg them to take your money...provided you can convince them to sell to you. I had to stand out on the beach with a placard "Beach Vendor wanted" for over two hours before I could get one to take pity on me and offer me a necklace for 50$US...truly not the same! wink

#427808 - 01/14/12 05:33 PM Re: bargaining with vendors? [Re: Bear]
krehfish Offline
I love "bargaining" with the bracelet/refrigerator magnet kids. "Hey Mister". I lose every time, and buy what I don't need, and pay more than I should. I know there's a school of thought that says they're being used by elders, but I've had some interesting conversations, and made some good little friends.

#427810 - 01/14/12 05:56 PM Re: bargaining with vendors? [Re: krehfish]
Bear Offline
Originally Posted By: krehfish
I love "bargaining" with the bracelet/refrigerator magnet kids. "Hey Mister". I lose every time, and buy what I don't need, and pay more than I should. I know there's a school of thought that says they're being used by elders, but I've had some interesting conversations, and made some good little friends.

#427812 - 01/14/12 06:12 PM Re: bargaining with vendors? [Re: dawg]
Dr Buzzard Offline
I think bear & seashell both right -- of course I'm talking mainland though which IS different than the Cayes. It is nothing like Mexico or other places around here. You have to play everything by ear. Some peeps act like they doing YOU a favor or sell you some cheap crap for gold prices. Some peeps and mostly higher end stores will not bargin at all. for the most part I bargin and barter. And if peeps don't like it, well, i don't HAVE to buy and they don't HAVE to sell. I can always find want I want for good price or even free fa me. What I don't like the most is when vendors act indigant if you daan wanna give them some stupid price and they'll try and place a "ugly Gringo" card on ya. Watch out for some few vendors try and play ya as tourista. Be fair to yourself and them and you'll be fine. but don't help inflate prices when peeps try to fleece ya.. Mi dos pesos worth...

#427818 - 01/14/12 07:48 PM Re: bargaining with vendors? [Re: dawg]
collyk Offline
The kids who sell jewelry can be adorable. Please make sure that if you buy from them, you do so responsibly. If they are selling during school hours or at a time which is not appropriate for their age to be out on the streets or if they have no adult supervision, think twice. You may be supporting child exploitation.

#427823 - 01/14/12 10:08 PM Re: bargaining with vendors? [Re: Bear]
BeBelize Offline
Originally Posted By: Bear
I think Seashell is trying to prepare you for the fact that you have to beg them to take your money...provided you can convince them to sell to you. I had to stand out on the beach with a placard "Beach Vendor wanted" for over two hours before I could get one to take pity on me and offer me a necklace for 50$US...truly not the same! wink

You definitely won't have that problem in San Pedro.

#427825 - 01/14/12 10:25 PM Re: bargaining with vendors? [Re: BeBelize]
Bear Offline
Originally Posted By: BeBelize
Originally Posted By: Bear

You definitely won't have that problem in San Pedro.

Ya think? wink

lol! all in all I find the vendors pretty mellow...

#427831 - 01/15/12 01:59 AM Re: bargaining with vendors? [Re: collyk]
Tim Callanan Offline
I am with Colly,buy from kids that are in school.It is mellow here unlike Mexico,just be polite and say no thank you and you should not be bothered.
See ya soon,great post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
4 registered (dabunk, Diver Damon, 2 invisible), 51 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,029 Topics
462,230 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.