Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#427926 01/15/12 08:12 PM
I
OP Offline
I
If we bring our snorkle gear and start walking away from Banana Beach resort, what direction should we go down the beach to find good places to walk into the water for snorkle spots? Can you walk to where the Manatees are? Is this a bad idea? We will be doing diving with at least one company but was wondering if we want some quiet time together if we coud do this? We also dont want to meet any gators so what way will help us avoid this?

islandreamer #427942 01/15/12 09:53 PM
Hi islandreamer,

An excellent beach (Mar del Tumbo) is next door to the north of Banana beach. To know you're going north, keep your right foot in the sea. Snorkeling is a bit weak in that area but always worth a try. Banyan Bay has been developing some artificial reef habitats near Ricos Restaurant on Mar del Tumbo Beach that might be worth checking out, but you really will get the best snorkeling experience by taking some of the great snorkel tours available out towards the reef and the marine reserves. You're unlikely to see Manatees unless you are on an organised tour and even so, there is no guarantees. They are very private creatures. There are no gators in Belize but we do have crocodiles. You're unlikely to bump into one (though it is not unheard of) on the Caribbean beach side. They will be more frightened of you than you are of them.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

collyk #427945 01/15/12 10:20 PM
Artificial reef habitat translates into garbage off the coast!

Relaxed #427960 01/16/12 07:17 AM
C
C
For snorkeling I would walk a little south and go off one of the piers. You are not going to see a lot compared to the reef. The water around Banyan Bay is usually stirred up by waves. They are not large waves but do tend to keep the water cloudy. If you walk farther north, Ramon's has a small artificial reef under their pier.

crockhunter #427973 01/16/12 08:26 AM
My son and I stayed at Banana Beach in Sept and snorkeled all the docks North and South. There was far more to see going South towards Victor House. VH has a very nice dock and easy access, but the next small pier South was a surprise. I saw the largest Moray ell I have ever seen in only 6' of water. This big guy belonged out on the reef but had made himself a home. You will find different things under each pier, so have fun!!!!!

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
azbob #428037 01/16/12 06:43 PM
and if you keep headed South, you will come across some Belizean dragons as well, including a couple of babies lurking on the mangroves.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
Relaxed #428039 01/16/12 07:03 PM
T
T
Originally Posted by Relaxed
Artificial reef habitat translates into garbage off the coast!
An artificial reef is great under the right circumstances.We have visited many sites that have taken on habitat which otherwise couldn't survive.Its been proven to be successful,I think it is a good thing and we should be doing more of them.jmo

Tim Callanan #428053 01/16/12 09:33 PM
I
OP Offline
I
wonderful information, I have a photo of one of our guides last time we were there and it is such a perfect photo and I would like to use him again but I cqn not remember his name. (we did 4 tours and my memory has not stayed true). is there a way to forward the photo to one of you that could help me? I would like to have the photo made for him as well as it is so beautiful.

islandreamer #428068 01/17/12 12:04 AM
I
OP Offline
I
I can hardley wait to see them all. I wonder where the best sites are for diving to see the "local fish". It would be great if the whale sharks where there for a visit the same time.... but I will also bring our gear for wade in snorkling.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.