Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
OP Offline
B

E
E
The debate had very Poor attendance as there was a lot of empty chairs at the lions den.

S
S
Attendance was by invitation only...an excellent turnout!

K
K
Brussel: I really appreciated your blog spot on the debate. I don't know the island politics. But you did a wonderful job staying in the "middle".

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
B
OP Offline
B
There were empty seats...but across the street, we could hear TONS of people watching it on TV (at the PUP office). I thought the turnout was good for an event in San Pedro. If 120 tickets were issued, I'd say 75 to 80 people were there.

N
N
Democracy at work! Bravo!

History made; San Pedro's first ever mayoral debate a success

The much anticipated first ever San Pedro Mayoral debate was, by all accounts, a success. For the first time in San Pedro's political history, all mayoral candidates of San Pedro Town were in one venue to express the way each of them would address the many issues affecting the community should they become the next Mayor. The event was planned by The San Pedro Sun Newspaper's Editor, Tamara Sniffin and Eiden Salazar of Reef Radio and Reef TV.

The United Democratic Party Mayoral candidate Daniel "Danny" Guerrero, People's United Party Mayoral candidate Conchita Flota and Independent Mayoral candidate Melanie Paz all had the opportunity to address the voters in an opening and closing statement. A total of 13 questions were presented throughout the 2 1/2 hours long debate. The candidates answered questions relating to the Mayor's responsibility, property tax, tourism, traffic, transparency, subvention, town clock controversies, sustainable development, finance and audits, health care, master plan, crime, and their vision for the community. All questions were submitted by members of the community and similar questions were reworded to reflect one single question.

A second round of debate is scheduled for February 13th.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Sun

History Made: San Pedro's First Organized Political Debate

And what a cool thing to be invited to.

There is an election coming up for a new Mayor of San Pedro in March. And it's a pretty exciting thing for the town for a few reasons. First, the current mayor has been in position for 2 terms and has been the subject of quite a bit of negative controversy over the past years. I think, people are excited about a change. Second, this election will not be only Red (UDP) vs. Blue (PUP). This year there is a very viable Independent candidate (Purple!) that has the potential to shake things up. And lastly, there seems to be more real dialogue about issues. And that is where this debate comes in...

I am not a politico by any means. But, I have lived here for over five years, I love the town and its (sometimes crazy and complicated) inner workings and I really love the fact that it feels like an individual can have a say in what happens. A very different feeling than voting in the US where your vote is one of millions.

So...while I could write a book about my opinions about this event, I am not going to get into it too deeply here. Heck, it's not really my place...but let me give you my overall experience.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos on San Pedro Scoop

VIDEO: San Pedro holds mayoral debate

And in keeping with the political climate, a debate featuring the candidates vying to be mayor of San Pedro was held overnight on the island. Love TV's Maria Novelo has a review.

LOVETV

Debate season

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 313 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.