Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#428552 01/20/12 05:46 PM
K
OP Offline
K
I was informed that there is an alcohol rehabilitation center on the island. I hear that it is closed to visitors; however I am a human service major and would really love if I could get in contact with someone I could speak to about their facility. I've volunteered in rehab centers before and would enjoy seeing how the rehab process differs worldwide. What a great learning experience it would be! Anything helps!

C
C
Well let us know how it goes because I have lived here for 12 years and the only rehab I have heard of is the bar outside of Jaguar's nightclub in San Pedro.

N
N
Not trying to be a smart *ss but are you sure the person was not talking about wildlife rehabilitation?

Originally Posted by Noelle
Not trying to be a smart *ss but are you sure the person was not talking about wildlife rehabilitation?

Them 2-legged dears on the Cayes are wildlife fa sure! makes me happy...

http://belizewalkabout.blogspot.com/

Dr Walkabout Buzzard

C
C
We used to have AA meetings but that did not last long. San Pedro has set meetings that are well established. Belize does have an excellent drug and alcohal rehab center, It is however on the mainland. I know people who have gone and say it is impressing. I will try to find the name and post it. It is operated by a U.S. organization.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
C
C
It is called New River Cove,

I copied and pasted the below info...

About Us

Located on 27 acres in the tropical beauty of Belize, New River Cove has an experienced medical, conditioning and counseling staff, as well as world-class facilities, to help treat the Mind, Body and Spirit of those in need. There is no place quite like New River Cove. We can help anyone suffering from addiction to take back positive control of his or her life. Please call us today.

Areas of Expertise
Anchored in the recovery success of Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous and other 12-Step programs and integrated with proven professional clinical therapies and strategies, New River Cove adds a unique and exciting eco-recovery, adventure milieu. Activities include horseback riding, kayaking, ropes course, meditation, yoga and other holistic strategies as well as excursions that include snorkeling at Caye Caulker in the Caribbean Sea, guided tours through regional Mayan Ruins and visits to natural rainforest settings. Within the therapeutic container of our abundant and natural tropical environment, our extensive fitness center, the cultural diversity of Belize, and the competence of our clinical team, clients have a reflective and health enhancing experience that begins a new lifetime of recovery, "un dia a la vez" (one day at a time). Clients gradually and intentionally follow their therapeutic plan with "movement" in the three spheres of Mind, Body, and Spirit. Movement includes intentionally moving through the first eight steps of twelve-step work; identifying the neuro-scientific affects of their addiction, heightening awareness of anxiety and developing anxiety and depression moderating strategies, and initiating and maintaining a daily "movement" practice of yoga, meditation, swimming and adventurist activities such as horseback-riding and kayaking. Clients are encouraged to envision a new "God as I understand" spirituality. This could include a regenerated return to their religion of choice or a variety of other visions. The beauty and calmness of our tropical environment facilitate this search and discovery. is called New River Cove,
I copied and pasted infor from website below......

K
K
That's funny Coop

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
C
C
Well I always try to have a sense of humour but the few folks in need that went to this place, local gringos say it was a godsend.

I hate to be serious, but I had a friend asking for help. I had heard of New River Cove and told her about it. All she got was a US 1-800 phone number and requests for money. Never got a contact in country. Finally she went to some place in Belize City. Total no-frills but lots of love and prayers. She seems fine now. But of course I lost a NSA FWB drinking lass. But good on her for saving herself.

Dr Walkabout Buzzard

P
P
New River Cove closed last year.
There is an active AA in San pedro and Orange Walk.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 290 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.