Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Here is an excellent packing list for a visit to Belize from people in the know. (BFREE)

PACKING CHECKLIST: WHAT TO BRING TO BELIZE

The following list is suggested for a month-long visit. Adjust accordingly.

Essentials
• Passport
• Name, phone number, and fax number of your physician and a close relative
• List of credit card numbers/travelers checks and numbers to call to cancel the card/replace these in case of loss or theft

Clothing
• 4 or 5 lightweight cotton t-shirts
• 1 or 2 loose lightweight cotton long-sleeved shirts
• 2 or 3 pair lightweight loose cotton or mixed cotton/polyester long pants. Denim isn't very good in the tropics, too hot, won't dry.
• 2 pairs of shorts
• 1 change of “nicer” clothes (slacks/skirt or sundress and button down shirt)
• 1 swimsuit
• 1 sweat shirt or jacket for cool nights (polar fleece material good)
• 1 week’s worth of socks and underwear
• 1 pair of river sandals
• 1 pair of comfortable hiking shoes or boots
• 1 pair of sneakers (optional)
• 1 rain poncho
• Hat

Accessories
• Tent with rain fly (if you will be tent camping)
• Sleeping pad (if you will be tent camping)
• Sleeping bag or bed sheets and light blanket
• 10-15 zip lock baggies to keep things dry in the bush
• Sunglasses, bring if you use them, polarized lenses are best (optional)
• Toiletry kit. Include all of the items that you would normally use, please bring biodegradable soap and shampoo.
• Women—please being feminine products because cycles are often disrupted during travel!
• 2 flashlights, and don’t forget to bring plenty of batteries and spare bulbs (headlamps are great too, especially for caving)
• 1 towel, lightweight old ones are best
• Pocketknife or “Leatherman” type tool
• Small day pack or backpack for daytime excursions
• 1 or 2 Water bottles
• Sunscreen
• Insect repellent, many types are non toxic
• Mask, snorkel, and fins
• Personal first aid supplies: Each person should bring along: Band-Aids, moleskin, Tylenol, Benadryl, a laxative, Imodium/Pepto, anti-itch cream, a topical antibiotic cream, and an anti-fungal cream or powder if you are prone to foot fungus.
• Medical kit: each group must provide a complete medical kit. BFREE has a first aid kit, which is intended for emergency use only.

As a basic rule, if you cannot get along without it, bring a spare or maybe two. This applies to contact lenses and glasses, flashlights, and personal medications.

Other
The following items are optional, but do bring them if you can:
• Camera, spare batteries, and all the film you will need
• Binoculars

bfreebz.org

"all the film you'll need". Film? How old is this article? smile

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

B
B
You can scratch off many of those items but always the ziplock bags! Big and little and extras. Now THAT is a good tip.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Packing for Belize

We’ll only be gone for 11 days total (including travel time), but still my career as a project manager has me planning every single thing…including our packing list. I travel alone quite a bit, but one of the things I like most about travelling with someone else is that you don’t have to bring everything. I created a detailed packing list and divvied up the items so that my Mom and I wouldn’t end up bringing duplicates of things we'll both need.

My Tropical Packing List

Below I've documented why I bring some of the items you might think�.hmm�why would she bring that.

Passport - Why bring an extra photocopy? I leave the copy in my hotel room and bring my passport as identification. Or, you can take your driver's license and the copy. Just keep the copy and your original separate in case you lose the original. I don't know for a fact, because I've never lost mine, but I'm assuming it will be much easier to work with the Embassy if you have a copy.

Alarm Clock - I don't travel with one in the US because I just use my cell phone, but I don't get international coverage on my cell phone when I travel (or at least I haven't so far). So, this comes in handy if you need to wake up early for a tour.

Cameras - Why bring two? First, this is a tropical vacation packing list and I will want to take pictures underwater. However, I would always bring two because I won't use my nice Nikon if it's raining. It's too expensive to risk it.

iPad/Laptop - I usually only travel with my iPad. However, I'm considering bringing my laptop this time. I think keeping up on my blog updates will be challenging on my iPad.

Clothes - In general, I recommend bringing less than you think you'll need. I always end up bringing way more than I wear, but at least I'm prepared. This time, I'm trying to cut back and may even cut back further than indicated in the packing list.

Long Sleeve Shirt - Especially necessary if you are going someplace that has bugs at night (i.e. Belize). Also handy if you get a little too much sun. Just make sure it's lightweight.

Swimsuits - Why two? Humidity can be high sometimes and it sucks to put on a wet swimsuit if you want to swim two days in a row. You can definitely get by with one.

Shoes - They are so bulky�definitely don't bring more than you need. I go with lightweight hiking shoes so they are more versatile. Also, wear your heaviest pair on travel days�if you can.

Baby Powder - Think humidity�do I really need to say anything else?

Hat - Most people use it for sun coverage�I use it if I don't want to take a shower�just being honest. If you are sensitive to sun, bring one that has fabric that covers the back of your neck.

Clorox Wipes - I don't consider myself a germaphob (really a word?), however things like remote controls are bacterial nightmares. Use them to wipe off anything people touch frequently, but housekeeping may not think to clean. Also nice to have in your day pack just in case.

Emergency TP/Facial Tissue - Not all bathrooms have TP. You'll be sorry if you don't have anything with you.

Clothes Pins - Think wet swimsuits and laundry day. A lot of places (especially tropical locations) have clothes line, but I've found that clothes pins can sometimes get lost or removed.

Headlamp/Flashlight - Great for reading at night (headlamp). Last time I traveled to Belize mine came in handy for walking to my cabana on an unlit path and also when the power went off (it happens more often than you think in smaller, less industrial countries).

Ziploc Bags - Who knows? They have so many uses; just bring at least one large and a couple small. I've used mine for things like clothes that don't quite get dry before I need to pack-up to move on and for smaller objects that can sometimes get lost in luggage. They are just a good idea.

Alaska Girl at Heart

C
C
Marty likes bringing up old and interesting post. Tent camping in Belize is unusual and pretty much not at all on the Cayes. Feminine products are easily available everywhere, Cloths pins easy to get. If you find you need baby powder, zip locks, you can get them here. You dont need to bring t.p. its cheap here. What you do need to bring, funny knowone mentioned it is bug repelling, a $3.00 bottle of Off lotion cost triple that here,bring some deet. I am sort of laughing at this post. It reminds me of 12 years ago on our first trip before we realized everything is available here.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
Old???

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
from January 27, 2012. Very relevant in more remote areas. We have been desperate for feminine products several times while camping out in Cayo. I think she's talking about having this stuff with you when you get out off the beaten track.... tent camping isn't exactly extinct for some of us....

right before this post, brusselsprout mentions how important it is to have zip locks... Deb says they are everywhere, but I for one always make sure there are some in MY BACKPACK. everyone has different ideas on what to bring, this is just one person's thoughts, it may not match up with your own personal list....

T
T
My only thought is I don't need an alarm clock. I am on vacation and will wake up when I am ready. LOL

For those of us going diving or on day trips, we may very well need the alarm clock. Know I do for sure. Have even had to replace a couple because they didn't ring loud enough and/or log enough, to rouse me from my slumber, since I sleep best in the morning, after struggling all night to get to and/or stay asleep.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Originally Posted by seashell
.....we may very well need the alarm clock. Know I do for sure......

Hell, you need one to get ready to go have a beer & dinner at 7PM!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.