Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses Lodging

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#429322 - 02/02/12 10:20 AM Sipping Rum
RedRover Offline
I will be on Caye Caulker in March and plan on buying provisions locally. I know that it’s not worth buying local beer and rum on the mainland because of its reasonable pricing and accessibility on Caye Caulker, however is Travellers 5 Barrel Aged Rum easily purchased on Caye Caulker? Additionally is Travellers 5 Barrel Aged Rum good on the rocks as what I call a “sipping liqueur”. I really enjoy a good sipping liqueur as a way to wrap up the day. Normally I sip a good single barrel bourbon, however I have had really good rums that do just fine for sipping.

#429334 - 02/02/12 02:45 PM Re: Sipping Rum [Re: RedRover]
aquamark1 Offline
5 barrel rum is a great rum it's a smokey mallases flavour smother than 1 barrel you can get it in most stores on caye caulker 12 days to go till we get there for a month or a few bottles later all the best mark
live life love life live the life you love

#429352 - 02/02/12 06:26 PM Re: Sipping Rum [Re: RedRover]
Bear Offline
Depending on your own tastes and experiences you may, or may not, like some of the Belizean rums and that includes 5 is a matter of personal taste.

I find its oak and flavors (a vanilla overtone, characteristic in my opinion of many the Traveler products) to be a bit unbalanced for a five year old rum although it has a nicer more refined and drier finish than some of the lower "barrels". I'll be interested to hear your opinions once you've tried some. The English variation on rum retain more of the molasses undertones and depending on distallation technique that flavor can be very overwhelming (e.g Wrey and Nephew (Jamaica) or St Vincent's Sunset Rum). I would not charaterize 5 Barrel as having that overwhelming single pot distillate flavor.

Of the Belizean Rums tried my wife likes Old Master Extra Mature. It's is her favorite. It's on the sweeter finish side but to her mind it is a nice off the rocks or in a snifter.

Now if you dont mind spending some money pick up a bottle of Ron Zaccapa 15 Year (Guatemala) at the Airport duty free. As a single barrel boubon guy I'm sure the $30 odd US dollars wont make you shirk. This rum is a Spanish variant in the Anejo style. These rums are typically smoother and to my mind more enjoyable than their English bretheren. I'd also add that it is the younger brother of the Zaccapa 23 YO Centenarrio rum that year after year is judged to be one of the top rums in the world. Ah yes, I just remebered! You can get the 23 YO Centennario at the duty free, or at least thay had it the last time I was there...mmmm I'm thinking it was like $60USD smile

Again all this is from my own observations and biases so please experiment!

#429353 - 02/02/12 06:36 PM Re: Sipping Rum [Re: RedRover]
Bear Offline
I'd score your 5 Barrel (and that Ron Zaccapa wink )at the duty free in Belize before on your way to collect your luggage a apart of your 4 bottles each duty free allowance. Keep your receipt.

#429354 - 02/02/12 06:40 PM Re: Sipping Rum [Re: RedRover]
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
I also like Traveller's Three Barrel (Parrot Rum). Use to be Duurly's.

--Lan Sluder

#429357 - 02/02/12 06:55 PM Re: Sipping Rum [Re: Lan Sluder/Belize First]
Bear Offline
Really? That surprises me Lan. Interesting tidbit. I was fairly certain Doorly's was a Barbados rum. When did it change over?

#429359 - 02/02/12 07:02 PM Re: Sipping Rum [Re: Bear]
chunkyruth Offline
Bear, different wasn't a typo...Duurly's. Now 3 fav.

#429363 - 02/02/12 08:04 PM Re: Sipping Rum [Re: chunkyruth]
Ernie B Offline
Bear knows all ?????
Gun Control is Hitting Your Target.

#429364 - 02/02/12 08:16 PM Re: Sipping Rum [Re: RedRover]
i prefer 5 barrel,i buy 12 bottles direct at the warehouse in B-C ,and paid for 11 bottles very cheap price,just ask any cab driver at the airport they will bring you there and bring it in the island maybe 12 bottles look too much for you but you be surprise how fast 12 bottles dissapear in 1 week
and do not forget there will be a lot of new friend !!!!! when they see you crossing the island with your caisses of rhum...

#429365 - 02/02/12 08:20 PM Re: Sipping Rum [Re: Ernie B]
klcman Offline
Originally Posted By: Ernie B
Bear knows all ?????

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Marty), 51 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,636 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,724 Topics
461,272 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory Picture of the Day