Andrea’s Fast Food gutted in fire
A popular food vendor on Albert Street lost everything on Wednesday night when a fire swept through her business. The owner of Andrea’s Fast Food has been operating out of Albert Street for more than a decade and was a favorite lunch place for students and employees in the downtown area. Hours after Roxana Nunez left her business, she got a call that her business was on fire. News Five’s Delahnie Bain reports.
Delahnie Bain, Reporting
A fast food vendor, whose business has been a fixture on Albert Street for over a decade, lost her only source of income in a fire on Wednesday night. Roxana Nunez closed for the day after four o’clock in the evening and hours later, she received the bad news.
Roxana Nunez, Owner, Andrea’s Fast Food
“I’ve had my business for twelve years and I always prepared my chicken, my beans everything one day before. Before we left yesterday, we checked everything. We turned off the stove, made sure the gas tank and everything was okay. I left here around four-thirty and later I got a call saying that the shop was burning around nine-thirty. When we got here, everything was destroyed already.”
“So you’re sure that nothing electrical, nothing gas related was left on?”
“So have you heard from the fire station or anything as to what may have caused this fire?”
“No, they came to check this morning but didn’t tell me anything.”
Fire Safety Officer, Andrew Nunez, says that by the time the fire department was called in, it was too late to save anything inside the wooden structure.
“At ten minutes to ten last night the Belize national fire service received and responded to a structural fire located at number ninety-seven Albert in downtown Belize city. On arrival, the fire department met a small gacho shop engulfed in flames.”
“At that time it was too late to save the structure?”
“Yes, it was too late.”
“Any idea at this point about the origin or the cause of this fire?”
“Well, the Fire Department is still determining the origin and cause of the fire.”
And while Roxanna lost everything, she has hope and says she plans to rebuild.
“Well, we will clean up and just try to build another shop. It will take time because we lost the refrigerator, stove, pot, flour, beans, shortening; everything just burnt so we have to wait until things come together slowly. It will take time, but we’ll get it back again.”
Delahnie Bain for News Five.