Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses
BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
from a friend who spent many many years on Caye Caulker....

Geez! I´m on Caye Caulker and yesterday coming from the SPLIT crowded with sunbathing and swimming tourists, I had to step aside from a car being driven by somebody. Cars and Trucks are forbidden on Caye Caulker. The tourist package is GO SLOW and barefoot on sandy streets. The biggest vehicle allowed is a golf cart. I sure hope the TOWN COUNCIL jump on whoever owns that car and get it off the island. That thing will grind up the street coarse sand into fine talcum powder and cause no end of trouble with sand storms into homes and shops. They tell me over on Ambergris Caye, the traffic is so bad, 2 people a week are knocked down by vehicles. Not for Caye Caulker surely?

response from another friend....

Each of the last three times I've been on Caye Caulker in the last three years, I have seen at least one car. I also thought that motor vehicles were prohibited on the island but I guess if you have enough money, you can do whatever you like.

T
T
Does the bank not have a car I thought? Though why they would need one I don't know.

Apart from the pick up truck the village uses to clean up debris and the bug sprayer vehicle, what would a car/truck possibly be needed for? And once you allow one person, then another will find reason to ask for one....

J
J
Favoritism/capitalism? prevails everywhere.
Sadly, there are a lot of vehicles on Caye Caulker lately.
The bank is semi-legit, to transport money to the airstrip, but Chinatown hotel has a big truck?
How much did that little favor, along with a 4th story dwelling on a 3 story code island cost one would wonder?

N
N
There are numerous trucks used for hauling things and the bank has a small SUV. There's also a large caterpillar for filling in potholes with sand. I don't think any of the vehicles were snuck in so I doubt there will be any response from the village council. Doubtless they know about them.

It's a slippery slope...just look at San Pedro. I really hope Caye Caulker will not follow their lead where vehicles are concerned. The (almost) lack of cars is a huge part of CC's appeal!

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com
M
M
During our recent stay we saw 2 of the SUV's on the island...and the town truck is broken, so they drive the backhoe all over the place many times a day...certainly has changed the feel of quaint caye caulker.

Last edited by MikeD; 02/07/12 06:01 PM.
J
J
Nothing happens on CC that the Village Council doesn't either approve or find out about in 5 minutes flat.

N
N
The backhoe drives back and forth all day filling in potholes. They are back as soon as it rains so it's a never ending job. Because there has been so much rain lately, it's also filling in the flooded roads on the back side of the island with larger rocks.

S
S
Gotta get the people off the island...they are a pain...always getting in the way!

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
from a friend....

That car has been on CC for at least 5 years. I was told that the bank got special consideration for security purposes. I understand it was a no car no = branch offer.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 300 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day