Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
N
N
I don't think it's uncommon for businesses in Belize to charge 5% for taking a credit card. I've also had it put "we'll give you a 5% discount for cash" at stores where people often use credit cards.

I was told years ago by Belize Bank they do not charge any businesses 5% so why have they charge you 5%?

Purchase Regulations
A merchant accepting Visa credit cards must treat them as if they are cash. This prohibits a business from charging extra fees for credit card acceptance. In addition, Visa regulations forbid businesses from setting minimum or maximum transaction amounts. If someone wants to buy a $.75 candy bar with a Visa debit or credit card, then the merchant must accept that sale to avoid violating their agreement. However, Visa Inc. does ban the use of its cards for illegal transactions, such as prostitution services or online gambling, that are prohibited by state or federal law. Alcohol and cigarette purchases are considered legal transactions and under regulations can be paid for using a Visa card product.

Read more: Visa Credit Card Regulations | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_4829944_visa-credit-card-regulations.html#ixzz1mTKtljAN

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
N
N
Even in the US merchants regularly violate those terms so I'm not sure why we would think they would be followed in Belize.

But, having owned a business that took credit cards I can assure you there are fees for the merchants. They don't come from the bank but from the credit card merchant services. Depending on your contract there might be a per transaction fee, a percentage of the value of the transaction fee and sometimes fees for not meeting minimum charge amounts. Merchants usually absorb those fees as the price of doing business but I definitely had transactions as a merchant where my fees for the transaction were more than the the amount I took in (total, not just more than the profit).

I.E. the statement about the candy bar. If you want, all you have to do is send a copy of the bill to VISA and heads can roll for the merchant. Or have a copy of that portion of the agreement and show it too the merchant at the time of purchase.

N
N
Credit cards are definitely the business to be in which is why everyone from your college alumni association to your frequent flier airline to the nonprofit you give money to wants to sell you one.

They get fees and interest from the consumer including sometimes fees for *not* using the card enough or for paying off the balance too promptly. They get huge fees from merchants. If your card is stolen you don't have to pay for the felonious purchases but neither does Visa or Mastercard. The merchant eats it. And you know those rewards cards where you get 2% or something back in miles or cash or rewards? Merchants are dinged an extra percentage for each transaction with those card, usually a higher percentage than you're get back. Of course that's in addition to the yearly fee you often have to pay for those cards.

Yup, credit cards are the business to be in!

E
E
I lived in San Pedro,visit often, for many years and have never been charged anything for using credit cards. Must be a new gig.

Originally Posted by Noelle
Credit cards are definitely the business to be in which is why everyone from your college alumni association to your frequent flier airline to the nonprofit you give money to wants to sell you one.

They get fees and interest from the consumer including sometimes fees for *not* using the card enough or for paying off the balance too promptly. They get huge fees from merchants. If your card is stolen you don't have to pay for the felonious purchases but neither does Visa or Mastercard. The merchant eats it. And you know those rewards cards where you get 2% or something back in miles or cash or rewards? Merchants are dinged an extra percentage for each transaction with those card, usually a higher percentage than you're get back. Of course that's in addition to the yearly fee you often have to pay for those cards.

Yup, credit cards are the business to be in!

VISA and MASTER CARD are only the gateway for the movement of credit. Its the banks that eat the bad debts, not the merchants. Look at it like this, Visa owns the freeway and the banks own the cars you drive, you pay to use the car and drive it on the freeway. If you crash and burn, its the bank that takes the hit and the processers too. The freeway is unhurt.

Last edited by champion; 02/15/12 01:48 PM.

N
N
Yes! It would be truly odd if the merchants were responsible for the bad debts since they don't earn the interest! That would be *very* good business on the part of CC companies if they could pull that off!

Its against the bank rules for any merchant to charge for using a credit card.
Merchants caught charging extra for using a card can loose their merchant account at the bank.
5% is the common figure but most merchants have between 2.5 and 5 % rates with the merchant account, so not only against the banks rules but the merchant is probably making a profit off you.
Having said that ,its extremely common for merchants on the island to do this to you and if you object they say you can't use your card for the purchase.
Just one of those little irritating things you can do little about.
If you want to get nasty with them let them charge it, but try and document it, then file a disputed charge with your bank at home.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.