Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
C
I just returned from San Pedro and while I can say that everywhere I went accepted credit cards, be careful and watch your bill closely. Within two days of being in San Pedro (and only using my credit card at 3 different and reputable places in that period of time), a fraud alert kicked in because someone tried to use my card to make an Internet purchase for $2000. Fortunately my card company caught it and stopped it. Since my company says they're "investigating," I can't yet prove it happened due to my usage in Belize. What I do know is that I've never had anything like this happen before in the 20+ years I've been using credit cards around the world. Two days in San Pedro and "bam."

Wow, where did the charges come from so I can avoid it. I was planning on getting pre-paid visa cards at $250 or $500 intervals to avoid such a thing. It happened to me last time I went to St. Maarten.

C
C
Originally Posted by NorCal Hunter
Wow, where did the charges come from so I can avoid it. I was planning on getting pre-paid visa cards at $250 or $500 intervals to avoid such a thing. It happened to me last time I went to St. Maarten.

I don't want to soil their names until I know for sure because I could probably be held legally liable if I blamed someone and I couldn't prove it, but right now the credit card company isn't telling me anything anyway since it's an open investigation. One was a well known restaurant on front street by the airport, the other was a well known cigar shop on the middle street, and the other was a nice gift shop on the middle street across from the cigar shop.

D
D
Quote " I can't yet prove it happened due to my usage in Belize. What I do know is that I've never had anything like this happen before in the 20+ years I've been using credit cards around the world. Two days in San Pedro and "bam."

No disrespect intended, but if this is true, you have been a very lucky person. Credit card fraud is rampant throughout the world. certainly not something unique the Belize OR San Pedro.

I hope things work out ok.

DC

I agree -- credit card fraud is endemic all around the world. Over the years I've had to have several credit cards replaced because somebody was trying to use them improperly. In fact my wife had her Amex replaced just last week because of an attempt by somebody to charge air tickets on it in Canada. Usually in our case it's been because of using the card on the internet, but often you never know for sure -- it can be some dishonest employee at a restaurant or shop anywhere in the world.

C
C
Originally Posted by Decompression

No disrespect intended, but if this is true, you have been a very lucky person. Credit card fraud is rampant throughout the world. certainly not something unique the Belize OR San Pedro.

I hope things work out ok.

DC

No disrespect taken. I guess maybe I have been lucky. I've used my card throughout Africa, Europe, South America, Asia, and Russia. Not a blip. All it takes is one I guess. My credit card company caught it before it went through, so I'm not out anything. The only hassle was they locked up my account, which I didn't discover until I tried to charge something at a restaurant. I had to scrounge for cash between my wife and me, but we put it together okay.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.