Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#43054 - 08/16/01 09:07 AM Long Caye
VYK Offline
Hi. I recently purchased land on Long Caye island, about a half mile from Half Moon Caye. I was wondering if anyone had any information on the island (i.e.- terrain, water, etc.) as I have yet to visit it. Any info would help. Thanks.

Victor

#43055 - 08/17/01 06:41 PM Re: Long Caye
KWIBMF Offline
You bought land on an island you've never seen or visited? Hmmmmm.

#43056 - 08/17/01 08:03 PM Re: Long Caye
SEAWINGS Offline
You did visit their web site?It's very detailed.Very flat island.Doubt there is well water you would have to depend on catching the rain or use RO and turn the sea to drinking water.It's way out there and no protection from the big one.

#43057 - 08/18/01 01:32 AM Re: Long Caye
ScubaLdy Offline
I bought lot #48 in Loggerhead Preserve. What one did you buy?
I was on the island for a lunch stop back in '98. Yes, it is 2 miles from Half Moon Caye and has much the same landscape.
Their web page is full of information and I spent about a month reading everything I could before making my decision. Actually I was going to buy two lots and my financial planner was going to buy two adjoining mine.
I decided to drop in on the people handling the money -- attorneys in Belize City.
I made a quick trip down in June and was very impressed with the organization.
No, I could not get out to the island, but I did spend 4 days back on A/C and talked to as many people as possible.
General consensus is that people are concerned for the environment. So am I and that is exactly why I decided to be a part of what they are planning to do out there. I also want to be among people who feel the way I do about preserving our natural assets.
Based on all of the above I realized I didn't need to lots, so each of us bought one.
I would encourage anyone to look at the web page. www.longcayebelize.com

Harriette Fisher
BELIZE ME!

#43058 - 08/22/01 01:49 AM Re: Long Caye
Ken & Lynne Offline
Great idea...but, too much to do and so little time...wonderful lot(s) to will your great-grandchildren! Hate to burst your bubbles, but the research team of Ken & Lynne visited the island last May. We were dropped off by a dive boat who later came and "rescued" us before the mosquitoes carried us away! Was "Mosquito Coast" filmed there? Whew! We saw mucho $$$, time and manpower needed to scratch the surface of development...Still interested??? We know someone who is selling their waterfront/commercial lot (#58C) very reasonable...

#43059 - 08/22/01 05:22 PM Re: Long Caye
munichchick Offline
We own lot 31 in the Loggerhead subdivision. We bought out of the same reasons Scubalady did. By the time we retire there will not be much pristine nature left but we will have our little island getaway. We also visited the Island last September. Yes, there where mosquitos but that is not a strange thing for the tropics. Of course it will take some time for this little island to develope but just look at places like Key West or all of Florida. At one point people thought the wealthy man the developed Key West was crazy.
How about New York! That was also Mosquito invested Swampland. What do you think Orlando used to be like? Now we would never want Long Caye to turn into Key West or Orlando of course but it has a big potential to turn into a very beautiful resort Island where nature and humans live in peace. Having at least 10 great dive sites in front of your nose is also a good thing. Just take a look how beautiful Half Moon Caye is.
It's only this way because there are caretakers that groom the vegetation etc.
Long Caye will be just as beautiful. We thought it was beautiful already with hundreds of Coco Palms and lots of interesting birds. But at this point it is still wild, uninhabitated and pristine. Even camping on the Island right now would not be very fun. Of course now the vegetation is to dense to get far but that is nature and it just needs some grooming. I am sure Ambergris Caye was probably not different before humans where there.

#43060 - 08/22/01 06:48 PM Re: Long Caye
Riley Offline
I dived at Long Caye wall and it rocked.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (dabunk), 52 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,675 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,062 Topics
462,318 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.