Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#430609 - 02/15/12 07:36 PM Parties Nominate Candidates in San Pedro
Marty Online   happy

San Pedro UDP 7 duly nominated
For its part the United Democratic Party town council team gathered in front of the San Pedro Town Council shortly around 2PM. Led by the Isla Bonita School Marching Band, the UDP 7 and their supporters they made their way through the principal streets of San Pedro and returned in front of the Town Council. One by one, each member of the UDP 7 walked up to the office of the Town Council to be nominated. UDP Mayoral Candidate Daniel Guerrero was nominated by Steven Schulte and Joseph Elijio. Councilor Candidates Henrick Brackett was nominated by Iriada Gonzalez and Efrain Guerrero Sr., Severo Guerrero Jr. was nominated by Ricardo Verde and Jose Alberto Nunez Jr., Carlos Barrientos was nominated by Flora Ancona and Catherine Paz, Gabriel “Gaby” Nunez was nominated by Raul Gonzalez and Phillip “Billy” Leslie and Yolanda Parham was nominated by Claudio Azueta and Elsa Paz.

San Pedro PUP 7 Nominated
Shortly before 10AM, the candidates of the People’s United Party for the upcoming municipal elections in San Pedro Town left from the PUP headquarters to be nominated. In a very festive celebration, the PUP 7 along with their supporters marched through the principal streets of San Pedro Town. Arriving at 11:30AM at the Town Council Office, all candidates where nominated in a span of about 50 minutes. The PUP 7 appeared before returning officer Ava Gene Swift. First to be nominated was PUP Mayoral Candidate Conchita Flota by Martha Guerrero and Merline Spain. The other candidates to be nominated were Gualberto “Wally” Nunez by Edwardo Vasquez and Carlos Rodriguez, Oscar “David” Aguilar by Paulino Pineda and Jesus Wiltshire, Viana “Vianie” Perez by Doroteo Acosta and Romelia Rivero, Raymundo “Mundo” Nunez by Hector Salazar and Alberto Guerrero, Marina Graniel by Ana Najaro and Andre Perez and Maribel Vasquez by Ronaldo Espat and Jason Nunez.

San Pedro Town Council Independent Candidates Nominated
Shortly before 1PM Independent Mayoral Candidate Melanie “Mel Paz” along with her core campaigners assembled on Laguna Drive and walked down the principal streets of San Pedro. Blowing horn and chanting, Paz and her group made their way to the Town Council where Paz was duly nominated. Maz was officially nominated by Priciliano Rigoberto Kumul and Miguel Alberto Perez. Following her nomination Paz explained that finally there is a choice other than the two political parties. “I have been waiting for this day for long and finally its here. I am confident that on Election Day, the people of San Pedro are going to vote wisely. They are going to vote for Mel Paz,” she explained.

#430627 - 02/16/12 08:30 AM Re: Parties Nominate Candidates in San Pedro [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

Nomination Day In San Pedro

Unlike the mainland, the island town of San Pedro with its large expatriate population, is known for its non-aligned voters who vote based on candidates, not parties.

And that's what made nomination day in that town interesting. Our team that was there for the BTB press conference also got a look at the nomination day activities:

Jim McFadzean Reporting

The history of an electorate with a strong independent streak is the reason why Independent Mayoral candidacy of Melanie Paz is being closely watched by some election observers who believe she stands a good chance of being San Pedro's next Mayor, even in the face of those who believe she might just end up being a spoiler.

Bobby Lopez - Supporting Independent, Melanie Paz
"The spoiler days are over. The VIP has proven 12 years in running in Belmopan, and in 2009, we beat the PUP. I came out here a year ago with the whole VIP executive to launch the independent movement, and to take partisan politics out of our communities. It has only divided family friends, neighbors, churches - and so it's time to unite our communities and cities, and let's leave the partisan politics for the National Election. I am proud that Mel has stood up. San Pedro had non-partisan town council when it first became a town, and this is what we're returning to now. The peope are ready for this change."

Jim McFadzean
"What are your chances of winning this election?"

Melanie Paz - Independent Mayoral Candidate, San Pedro
"I honestly believe that I have a very excellent chance of winning this election, Jim. From the response that I have gotten from the people since September, they are ready for independent candidates - for people who are going to represent them for people who are not party - affiliated, and I feel excellent about this today."

Jim McFadzean
"What are you hearing from the constituents here?"

Melanie Paz
"I'm hearing that in elections this year, they are not going to have for the normal, who wins PUP or UDP. They have other options beginning from the standard bearer, right down to town councilors. So, it's going to be a very tight night tomorrow, but the people are excited and ready for it."

Jim McFadzean
"Describe for us your slogan in this race."

Melanie Paz
"No politics, just business, no promises, but commitment, a lot of people think that politics is a dirty word because of what has occurred with our elected officials, and I'm putting no politics, just because the town council needs to be run as a business. It cannot be political, with political favors for families, friends, and support."

That snipe was no doubt aimed at both major political parties which have dominated both municipal and general elections over the past three decades. The question in everyone's mind remains whether the electorate will stick with the two party system come March 7th or not.

Jim McFadzean
"The saying amongst most voters right now why should we vote the People's United Party back into power, and then, if we do what new vision do you have for this town?"

Concita Flota - PUP Mayoral Candidate
"Why voting PUP, well, the party has always served the people. The passed mayor, Mr. Vetto, under the PUP, he gave us a financial report, and it included a detailed report. Not only that, he gave us the assets of what the town council has. This time, I don't see anything like that the present mayor gave us. The vision is for me to be an efficient, hardworking and fair person to all residents of San Pedro. I want to be working hand in hand the public, having public consultations, not deciding anything by myself, but contacting the public first."

For UDP Mayoral Candidate, Daniel Guerrero the outgoing UDP Mayor Elsa Paz, has left a satisfactory track record for him to ride her coat tails:

Jim McFadzean
"Do you think that Mayor Paz's record is going to be an asset, or a liability for you?"

Daniel Guerrero - UDP Mayoral Candidate
"Definitely an asset, she is probably the best mayor that this town has ever had."

Jim McFadzean
"So, you're expecting victory come March 7."

Daniel Guerrero
"Yes, We already won, it's not official, but you can see with the multitude of the people all over."

Jim McFadzean
"Are you worried about the introduction of an indepedent mayoral candidate in this election, that it's going to affect your chances?"

Daniel Guerrero
"Not at all, I don't think that the independent group has a chance here in San Pedro. I don't think that they do."

Jim McFadzean
"Are the numbers out here indicative of numbers that your party expects to bring out on election day?"

Manuel Heredia Jr. - Incumbent UDP Area Rep, Rural South
"I feel very comfortable about the campaign that we have had over here. Or record has proven what we have done. I as the area rep., has never lossed touch with the people, which is very important, and looking at the numbers of pledges, we will definitely be having a comfortable win."

Both major political parties have brought out impressive numbers of supporters here today on nomination day. Whether these numbers will translate at the polls come March 7th, is yet to be seen.

Similar nomination events were held in all the towns and cities. The political pageant continues on Friday with nomination of candidates for the general elections and we'll have coverage of that.

Channel 7

#430794 - 02/18/12 08:36 AM Re: Parties Nominate Candidates in San Pedro [Re: Marty]
Marty Online   happy

Independent BRS Candidates Nominated
Two candidates were officially nominated this afternoon. Independent candidate William “Mike” Campbell and Vision Inspired by the People Robert “Bobby” Lopez will officially be on the ballot come March 7th. First to make it to the Town Council’s office was Campbell. Despite delays which included an issue with his dual nationality, Campbell went through the necessary process and was nominated. Campbell was nominated by Fitzgerald Brown, Steven Bowen, Hector Trejo, Orlando Guerrero, Patrick Stiley and Allan Halliday. Campbell, who only showed up with his six-person entourage stated, “My supporters are afraid of coming out while some are working.” Campbell said that he remains focused and believes that he will be victorious on Election’s Day. Shortly after 1:00PM, VIP’s Lopez showed up with some supporters.

UDP BRS candidate nominated
The United Democratic Party Belize Rural South Standard Bearer was duly nominated this afternoon at the San Pedro Town Council. Heredia was accompanied by a sea of red supporters that came out to show support to the two-term Area Representative. Moving from in front of the San Pedro Town Council shortly after 2PM, the large multitude slowly made its way through the main streets of San Pedro Town. Blowing horns, blasting loud music and chanting, the jubilant crowd of supporters walked Heredia to the council. Once at the council, Heredia walked up the council’s office and was duly nominated before the Election’s Day returning officer Allan Gennity. Heredia was nominated by Joseph Elijio, Claudio Azueta, Maria Elsa Paz, Lisa McCorkle, Erico Novelo Jr. and Fernando Sosa.

PUP BRS candidate nominated
One of four candidates expected to contest the Belize Rural South Constituency has been duly nominated. People’s United Party Ana Patricia Arceo visited the San Pedro Town Council office along with a crowd of supporters shortly around 11AM before Election Day returning officer Allan Genitty and Election clerk Carla Acosta. With a jubilant and energetic crowd, Arceo departed from the PUP Headquarters and led a parade through the major streets of San Pedro Town. Along with loud speakers blasting political songs, the crowd eventually assembled at the foot of the Town Council’s office cheering for Arceo as she was being formally nominated. Arceo was nominated by six electors; Oscar Aguilar, George Dunn, Dona Badillo, Baldemar Graniel, Earl Smith and Jose Milo Paz Jr.

Belize Rural South General Elections Nominations 2012
Friday, February 17, 2012 marked the nominations for standard bearers running for the General Elections which will be held the same day as Municipal Elections, March 7, 2012. The San Pedro Town Council Nominations were held on Wednesday, February 15, 2012, and today, Belize Rural South Standard Bearers were nominated. PUP Standard Bearer: *Ana Patricia “Patty” Arceo Nominators: - Baldemar Graniel - Oscar Aguilar - Dona Maria Badillo - Earl Smith - Albert Dunin - Aljemiro “Milo” Paz

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (Marty, 2 invisible), 92 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,636 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,728 Topics
461,285 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.