Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses
BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

The Caye Caulker R.C. School wins the Zone 5 Spelling Bee competition for the first time in 17 years. The two spellers placed first and fourth. The entire school came out to the boat upon their arrival to celebrate their win. Congrats to the spellers. Great job!

M
M
OK...I'm dying to know...which students placed first and fourth? While we were there recently we were helping Gabriella Baki with her spelling....WHO???

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
here's more pics!!!
CLICK

The winner, the kid holding up the trophy, is Blayd Christopher Vernon, my son.
Wendy Auxillou

Congrats to Blayd Vernon and Chelsea Rodriguez, the spellers. Blayd won and Chelsey placed 4th.

M
M
Congrats to Blayd and Chelsey!!! I know some of the words they had to study were VERY difficult.

I was honored to be a part of the Spelling Bee, and those kids spelled some very difficult words. Cudos to the winners, and even those who did not place. It took a lot of courage for those kids to get up there. You could tell they had all spent a lot of time studying those words.

Change your Latitude
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader? The 2012 Bowen & Bowen National Spelling Bee

Am I smarter than a 5th grader? Hmmm...I wasn't sure when I left the 2012 Coca-Cola Local Spelling Bee. I had never even heard of some of these words. For example, gilgai. Origin: a native Australian language. Meaning: a natural watering hole. Gilgai. GILGAI? But let's back up a bit. Two winners from each primary school lined up nervously on the stage at the Lion's Den in San Pedro at 9am, Tuesday morning.

The kids need to be full attending students from Standards 4, 5 or 6 (approximately ages: 10-13). The represented school were: Caye Caulker RC School, St. Peters, Isla Bonita Elementary, New Horizon, Ambergris Caye Elementary, San Pedro RC School, Holy Cross School and The Island Academy.

The time keeper had her rules, her score sheet, her timer and her bell. When the word was given, each child repeated the word to make sure she understood and had 15 seconds to try to spell it. You can try as many times as you can before the bell rings.

And all the kids came to root on their classmates. The place was packed with surprisingly well behaved children.

Each speller got three words in each of the first two rounds. They were the quick-fire rounds. No definitions, no origins...these words were from a set of 300 that each student had been studying. They had words like aristocrat, legume, peripheral, bassinet, Wisconsin and some words with more of a local flair like reggaeton and chupacabra (which as you all know is a creature that is thought to suck the blood of goats and other livestock...it's kinda the Big Foot of Latin America).

After those rounds, four spellers remained. Daniel Smith from The Island Academy, Blayd Vernon from the Caye Caulker RC school, Kendice Armstrong from Holy Cross and Chelsea Rodriguez from Caye Caulker RC.

And then the words GOT HARD. I mean really difficult. Gilgai, boracic, beguine...oh my.

And a winner was declared. Blayd won the event and Daniel came in second. Miss Kendice from Holy Cross is the alternate for the District Bee.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see Many More Moving photos on San Pedro Scoop

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Coca Cola Spelling Bee Zone 5 Elimination

The 18th Annual Coca Cola National Spelling Bee Zone Elimination took place at the San Pedro Lions Den on Tuesday, February 21, 2012. Participating schools included Holy Cross Anglican School, New Horizons Adventist School, San Pedro R.C. School, Isla Bonita Elementary School, Ambergris Caye Elementary School, Island Academy and Caye Caulker RC School.

Judges for the event were Cindy Reinhart, Julie Babcock, Tamara Disselkoen and the pronouncer was Mrs. Joy Elliot. Scorers were Jules Nolan and Sarah Ebson, Timekeeper was Susan Ayers and Runners were Olivia Oldham, Lily Hayden and Renita Dellaca. Mr. Lucien Pollard was the representative present for Bowen & Bowen.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more great photos in the Ambergris Today

B
B
Awesome! Congrats to the entire school!! Great job!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day