Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
OP Offline
C
Hello everybody,
My father recently retired and wants to explore his options for staying part time in the Caribbean. He's asked me to help him find his retirement paradise. I did a lot of reasearch online and found Ambergris Caye. We'd like to come visit for a month to see if it's right for my dad. We're looking for a clean small 1-2 bedroom apartment or condo with internet, a/c, hot/cold water close to all the amenities, other tourists, and expats for around 800.00U.S. a month.

-Is May 1st till June 1st a good time of the year to come check out Ambergris Caye for the first time?

-Where do I find a good deal on long term rentals on the island?

-Is there any area's to avoid on the island?

-How much would it cost to rent a golf cart for a month?

-Are the beaches near the high end resorts accessable to everyone?

Thanks for any and all information you may be able to share.
I'll hopefully see you all soon. smile
Case

First of all - all beaches are available to the public. It's called the Queens way.
May is a month before the hurricane season officially starts.
The entire island is small; in the center of town it is only 4 blocks wide. Up here on the north where I live it is only 4 lots wide.
The things you will want to check into will be based on your fathers age, health and interests. You may want to do an online seach for what is called the QRP (Retired Persons Program). That could answer a lot of your questions.
I'm 74 years only and moved her almost 9 years ago. I LOVE IT!

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks for your response ScubaLdy,
My dad just wants to be near all the action. (restaurants, bars, beaches) Is anything within 2 miles North or South of San Pedro going to be ok? If the hurricane season starts in June. Does that mean that May won't be a good time to visit? Will a lot of expats have gone home? Will there still be lots of tourists? Will the weather still be nice in May?
Thanks
Case

M
M
Case, We have been there in April, August, November, December and End of February..beginning of March and we have NEVER had bad weather! Even during Hurricane season! I think you would have good weather then. San Pedro is very different than alot of other Carribbean islands, in a good way. You just have to experience it for yourself and figure out if that is what you want. We are planning on retireing there in about 2 years, i love it there! The people are really friendly, English is the national language (I think) and the money is 2 to 1 so everything is easy to figure out. Just be open minded and visit..then decide for yourself.

M
M
P.S. Go online and read www.sanpedroscoop.com. Rebecca talks about alot of different things on the island!

R
ron Offline
R
I think I've been down on Caye Caulker just about everyday of the year at various times. Mostly you can count on good weather although as with any place the weather is variable and now seems to be even more variable then usual. For the past few years I've been down about 6 months a year. I prefer the quietude of the north island of Caye Caulker, but many others want the activity of San Pedro. Your dad should come and see for himself how well he likes it. Since you seem to be renting you can rent several different places both to the north and south to see how he likes one area more then another. Maybe a month north, a month south and a month right in town. You also need to remember that he will be living there and not just being a tourist. What you do and how you spend your time will change depending on what your interests are. I know now that I'm down for a long stay I go out to eat much less. the days are also no longer one big fishing trip. Once he starts to meet people he'll start to figure out where he wants to live. Remember that the decision you make is not irreversible he can always move back to the States especially if he just rents.

One of the things to pay particular attention to is your Dad's hobbies or interests. Some things are either very difficult to obtain or very expensive or both. I can personally find no rhyme nor reason to determine what is easy to get and what is difficult but consider this aspect. Even simple things like a particular breadfast cereal can be exceedingly frustrating.

Captain One Iron
P
P
You should try the Belize Yacht Club. There is a large retired community that lives there for the winter and they appear to be really sociable. Every evening they all meet for cocktails and hang by the pool. It would be nice for him to have a built in social life

mawags, you've been extraordinarily lucky with the weather. I've also been to Ambergris Caye in each of the months that you've mentioned, and have had as much good weather as bad, particularly in Nov & Dec. The thing is, that usually, I'm just so darn happy to be in Belize, that the weather is only an issue for me when the dive boats aren't going out. That said, haven't experienced a hurricane down there yet, tho' some Northers have blown me away.

If you and your dad like lobster, you might want to adjust your dates. No lobster until June 15.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

May is traditionally the hottest month on Ambergris Caye, so if your dad likes hot weather, it's a great time to come; otherwise, not so much. We made our first trip to AC in May 2010 and fell in love with it. Despite it being the end of the dry season, 11" of rain fell on one day -- that was an amazing thing and a record. Mostly dry the rest of our visit.

If dad wants to be where the action is, I wouldn't recommend north of the bridge. It's quiet up here, which we prefer, but it's a bit of a haul to get to town, and there is a fee to go over the bridge each time in a golf cart (or a monthly pass can be purchased). I'd recommend in town or just south of town. The Yacht Club is a good suggestion. Also, Royal Palm Villas, which is a bit further south, offers long-term rentals and 1BR ocean-view condos for purchase at reasonable prices (i.e., under $250K).

A lot of the "snowbirds" who spend all winter on AC leave in April and all will be gone by the end of May, but there will be tourists here then, just not as many as during high season (Dec - Apr). You should have no problem finding an appropriate rental.

Good luck!
Emily

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 268 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.