Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#431922 03/02/12 09:54 AM
OP Offline
"At the 2011 Boogie in San Pedro, Grimm told The Sun, "My goal for this event is not just to bring people here to skydive, but to have them enjoy a true Belizean experience. Many of them have come back during the years and have also sent many friends to Belize for a vacation. We always want to leave the island with a smile on our face, a sunburn on our nose and longing to return." And although they do long to return, last week Grimm commented, "It's sad we aren't coming back, but without cooperation from the Government of Belize we won't return. I really love San Pedro and am sad we aren't there. Jumping over San Pedro is incredible. To bring this event back I would need a lot of help. We could jump each day over on Caye Caulker at the airstrip and we could base everyone on Ambergris Caye for the accommodations. I would need a US$40,000 commitment from the BTB and a lot of logistical and civil aviation help. The business community would have to step up like they always do. We would shuttle everyone over in the morning and back at night, with a few trips every couple of hours back and forth for folks that didn't want to stay all day."

Just part of the article appearing in this weeks paper.
Who in the hell do these people think they are and why they are so important. If the BTB and all the others that contirbuted to the 200 people coming did so for every 200 tourist coming, it surely would not be profitable. 200 sky divers are a miniscule number of the total tourists coming to Belize and why they should be given all the extras they ask for is arrogant. Grimm, and the other 199, enjoy Nicaragua. Belize will probabaly survive even without you. A thanks for all the support you received in the past would sufficient instead of your complaining about not be given enough.

Last edited by bywarren; 03/02/12 11:28 AM.
I don't think the sky divers generally are arrogant. Grimm, however, has been known to expect a free ride plus pocketing a profit just for showing up. Asking for $40K to bring 200 folks for a week...damn, that's rich.

Wait a minute...is this the gentleman that said last year they wouldn't be back because of landing zone issues...?

cutrate parachute sales r us...

PS I have to say I wasnt sure what a ski(sic) diver was...

Money is always an issue. Do I remember a couple of years back that JJW wanted a bunch of front money to do a benefit in SP, for the kids if I remember correctly

Follow the money

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
I'm curious as to why a sky diving tour enterprise would ask for and expect local business and government dollars to fund the tour. Wouldn't it be fitting for the participants to fund their own trip and sky diving outings - air, water taxi, entertainment, lodging, etc? I'm not aware of a charity associated with the Grimm sky diving enterprise, except for maybe Grimm. We pay our own way when we take junkets as tourists.

OP Offline
Thanks for being my spell checker, Bear.

Or was it a Freudian slip?....

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com
Rich Grimm and family are very nice people with real big hearts. They love the country and the especially the island. The sky diving events could have been an extra draw to the island that typically brings in around $1m US per boogie. I do think that a lot of people will miss the fun of watching the event, and some will miss the generous donations that the groups make to the schools and libraries.

Rich will be coming to San Pedro in May and he will no doubt be able to give us the feedback on his first boogie in Nicaragua.

I know I will miss watching the neat colourful parachutes over the island and the fun sky divers and their wild party antics!

The event is a draw for tourists. I have had a ton of annual visitors asking when the boogie is this year. They are very disappointed to hear that we aren't having one.

I totally agree, Amanda.

Sorry if you all took it as complaining. It was not.The San Pedro Sun wanted to know the difference in organizing by the tourism entities.The article wasn´t quite written the way it was intended I think. I excplicitly told Tamara Sniffin that this wasn´t sour grapes, she just wanted the facts of the organizational help and the differences in assistance.

The local business community has always been fantastic to us in San Pedro. Some of the SP locals have tried to find us a new landing area, but the expense of the logistics is way too much.

And yes, when there have been skydiving events in Thailand and other exotic locations the tourism wing of the governments assist with huge dollars. Thailand sponsored the events for over $100,000.

I always tried to keep the cost as low as possible so the participants would spend more money while in Belize.

And I have made so many millions of dollars on my free ride in San Pedro I am going to buy a nice mansion in Beverly Hills and matching Ferraris.

And Bywarren, I expect a free drink out of you when I see you in May.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 303 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.