Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#43205 - 08/21/01 05:04 PM A Pirate Went to AC (Trip Report - Pt.4)
Over_40_Pirate Offline
Day 4: Today we are doing the "tourist thing"…a catamaran trip to Caye Caulker with Hustler. We are going to stop at Hol Chan on the way there and Shark Ray Alley on the way back. Steven and Ralph are our guides for the trip. These guys were great! Unfortunately we had some a**hole tourist on board who thought he knew more about sailing than these guys. Some folks just can’t relax…oh well, we put him on ignore and dive in…….to the rum punch!

This is a booze cruise with a lot of people on board, so it may not be for everyone. It made for some crowded snorkeling, and we got bumped into quite a bit. That aside, no problem…we proceeded to have a blast…and a LOT of rum punch. Even met a family from Niwot, CO which is about 30 min. from where we live!! Small world! The day is warm and breezy but very cloudy. The catamaran is slow, so we are one of the last boats to arrive at Hol Chan. Not to worry. There are A LOT of snorkelers in the water, but the views are fantastic! Schools and schools of different fish. The coral is pretty…we spot a large moray eel! Our guide Steven goes down to feed the eel, enticing him out for some great photos! Very cool place!

Off to Caye Caulker we go…of course washing the saltiness away with more rum punch! Steven and Ralph take us to a fabulous restaurant for lunch. The food was GREAT and much less expensive than on AC. A big thunderstorm hits while we are eating. There is discussion about bringing a powerboat over from AC for those who wish to skip Shark Ray Alley and the storm….there are NO TAKERS! (The day we went fishing we got caught in one of these storms and it was like standing in the shower at home. Nice and warm! We kept on fishing too!) There are a LOT of Italians on Caye Caulker. My wife is of Italian descent, so I take the camcorder around for some table to table interviews, promptly walking into a glass wall. "Too much rum punch!", Kathy shouts, almost falling from her chair in laughter. Oh well, I am glad I can provide entertainment around the world…

The storm subsides as my pride slowly heals, and we’re off to Shark Ray Alley. Kathy promptly jumps in right on top of a big Nurse Shark! Sting Rays are everywhere! We are the last boat there, because the sharks take off shortly after our arrival…probably well fed by now. Swimming with the rays is surreal, as they slowly glide past us allowing us to pet them mid-flight. Some swim right up our chests and(or) backs. Very cool!

We board the catamaran once again and steer for San Pedro. Out comes the rum punch. Out comes bags of fresh water, a water fight ensues…I win! Uh, oh! Ralph notices that our supply of rum is rapidly diminishing, while no one has touched the Belikin! That problem, however, is soon remedied! I have rum punch in one hand, and a beer in the other! Doug incites a beer chugging contest. HOO WAH! I’m pretty crispy by now!

Buzzed from the days events as well as too much rum punch and Belikin, we arrive at Hustler’s dock. Steven pushes Ralph and I into the water. Soon, almost everyone from the boat jumps into the water and another water fight ensues!

We make plans to meet the Colorado family at BC’s for dinner that evening, but Bruce and Charlene sold out! Sorry I missed out! We turn around and right before my eyes is Jambels Jerk Pit. "Hey! That place is supposed to be good!" In we go….good was an understatement! MOUTH-WATERING DELICIOUS! Goes GREAT with Belikin! Must have been divine intervention, for they tell us they are closing for a week starting tomorrow to go to a wedding on the mainland. Glad we didn’t miss this place! Hmmm…I don’t exactly remember what I had (go figure)…only that we were all making noises while we were eating!

Now we head out for the Jaguar Paw. The princesses for the Costa Maya Festival are there…hubba hubba! Guess what ??? It’s karaoke (sp?) night! Well, of course I’ll sing!!! What else??? "A Pirate Looks at 40" by Jimmy Buffet!

We run into Steven and Ralph, who are stupefied that we are still alive and out dancing at this late hour! Seems people usually hit the sack after his trips and aren’t seen or heard from for a day or two later! Leave it to me…geez, SOMEBODY has to be entertaining, even if it is at my own expense! And believe me…I pay for this tomorrow!!!

[This message has been edited by Over_40_Pirate (edited 08-21-2001).]

#43206 - 08/21/01 05:22 PM Re: A Pirate Went to AC (Trip Report - Pt.4)
B_b_f_b Offline
Great report Pirate. Had to tell you a quick story about JB. He wrote a song called Jamaica Mistaka. He was enroute to grabbing some jerk chicken in his private plane and decided to land in Negril, Jamaica without clearance from the Jamaican government. Apparently, the Negril police decided that his plane was really an undercover ganja plane and started shooting at his plane, he landed safely (the big air traffic controller in the sky was looking out for him) but he was a little peeved needless to say. Anyway, not that this relates to your trip report, but just wanted to share with ya. This happened about 10 minutes from my house when I was living in Negril, Jamaica.

Anyway, Caye Caulker, sounds sweet and next time I get to AC, I will head over just because of your trip report. Thanks again.

#43207 - 08/21/01 05:36 PM Re: A Pirate Went to AC (Trip Report - Pt.4)
IslandJunkie Offline
Pirate, your reports are the best & most entertaining I've read. Makes me wish I was back there!

#43208 - 08/21/01 05:37 PM Re: A Pirate Went to AC (Trip Report - Pt.4)
margarita Offline
Great Reports - Keep 'em comin'!

#43209 - 08/21/01 05:55 PM Re: A Pirate Went to AC (Trip Report - Pt.4)
Gaelen Offline
thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. It's so helpful. Wish I were there already!

Concord, CA

#43210 - 08/21/01 10:27 PM Re: A Pirate Went to AC (Trip Report - Pt.4)
ojackieo Offline
Thanks for the advice about the catamaran, I will be sure to to that more often when I travel back to AC. I have to agree with you about the rum punch and the tour guide, what was his name, oh Steven. Sounds like I mised a great time the first time around but as they say Third times the charm. TaTa.

#43211 - 08/21/01 10:54 PM Re: A Pirate Went to AC (Trip Report - Pt.4)
lupay Offline

Glad to see you are back. Andrea and I enjoyed our visit with you at Fideo's

#43212 - 08/21/01 11:30 PM Re: A Pirate Went to AC (Trip Report - Pt.4)
BillandJeanne Offline
Pirate - You write the BEST trip reports!

It sounds like y'all are having a blast! Next time we go, can we coincide it with y'all???!!

#43213 - 08/21/01 11:30 PM Re: A Pirate Went to AC (Trip Report - Pt.4)
ojackieo Offline
I enjoyed it very much also, sorry we did not get much time together. But I will back maybe we could up something next year. Say hello to Andrea for me.

#43214 - 08/22/01 10:17 AM Re: A Pirate Went to AC (Trip Report - Pt.4)
Over_40_Pirate Offline
Caye Caulker WAS cool...just wish we had more time to explore it. As it was, as soon as the storm receded, it was time to head back.
Jackie...I believe you were pretty well acquainted with, uh, what's his name, Steven, BEFORE you ever set foot on that boat!
Becky, an Old Parrothead like me is well acquainted with that story, but you were that close? Did you get to meet him?
BillandJean.......anytime! I love people from Louisiana! My wife lived in Shreveport for a spell! Gotta go work on #5...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (Marty, 2 invisible), 92 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,636 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,728 Topics
461,285 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.