Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#431480 02/26/12 09:41 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Has anyone else noticed that people using the pool at Reef Village are getting ill? I know at least 7 people who have gone to the Dr for ear, nose or throat infections. He said it is probably from the pool. It was not nice when I arrived in Jan then they got someone who knew how to take care of it and it got really nice. Now it has gone back to murky. You should be able to see the bottom of a pool that is less than 5 ft deep.

Pools are very easy to maintain, but if the chemicals go our of balance they can take a while to rebalance. The more usage a pool gets, and the dirtier the people, animals or objects are when they enter the pool can contribute to the chemical imbalances. Heavy rains also cause extreme changes.

I went to Reef Village in December and there was no way I was letting my kids in there.

Yes, you should be able to see the bottom of a pool. But even clear water can be completely our of balance and harbor nasty bacterias and molds etc.

With the dust and the tourist flus remember that there are a number of sources that you can contract sore throats, ears and sinuses from.

But if the pool is yucky then it should be looked at. There are a number of good pool people around and a pool supply company - and a lot of great advice on the Internet too. It will cost a bit to get the pool back in shape and it will have to be closed for a week or 2 to treat properly. New filters and running the pump 24/7 for a few days will go a long way to clearing the visibility.

At our condo we ask that people not go in the pool in street clothes. Many of the people who live on the island feel that this is discriminatory. It is not - street cloths carry sand, sweat and various other things into the pool. It is hard enough keeping it balanced without dog hair and sunscreen added. People who ignore our requests are seldom the people paying for the maintenance.
I know the Reef Village owners have had a rough go of it. Maybe the pool needs to be closed until it can be fixed.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
C
ctb Offline
C
Amanda - can you please share names and phone numbers of people here on the island that are pool "experts?" We have talked with Don and Judy at Island Pool Supply, but they do not know what is causing our problems. Would LOVE to get someone here ASAP.

BTW - do you have an opinion on sand vs. cartridge filters? We have a sand filter and completely changed the sand in December. Pool cleared up nicely, but the problem has returned.

ctb,
Are you new owners?
How could you possibly have a pool on the premises and NOT know how to maintain it?

Rycat - Have you ever actually been to the island?

Harriette
closer than you think, Harriette!!! shocked grin

CLOSE? This isn't horseshoes!

Harriette
Check with Marlon at Coco Locos across the road from you. He takes care of the pool at Bermuda Palms.......they had a similar problem and cleared it up with a certain chemical.......forget the name but Marlon will know.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
I
I
To truly determine what to do about your pool, first you need to figure out the Pool chemistry (use the test kits). There are many factors as to why the pool is murky - too much chlorine, not enough chlorine, dirty filter/sand, rain,and the biggest culprit is algae - second biggest culprit is dirty filters. You can use all the chemicals,in the world, but if you don't clean the filters, the chemicals won't help. You need to maintain all the pool equipment just as you would the pool water.
We, here at Island Pool Supply, are planning a "Pool Chemistry Seminar" for sometime this early fall. If this is of interest to anyone out please give us a call with your name and phone number.
Don and Julie

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.