Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BZ4me Offline OP
OP Offline
My husband and I will be moving to AC soon and looking to see where to go to buy a new flat screen when we come down. We would like to support our new businesses instead of bringing all of our stuff down. The other item is our tempurpedic king abjustable bed. I have medical issues that require the bed to move.

R
R
SW, there are plenty of places to buy TV's in SP but mostly in Belize City. You may not like the price on TV's compared to the USA.

Mattresses also, but a tempurpedic adjustable bed, well I'm not so sure on that one. We decided to buy local when we moved down and for the same reasons. We have only brought down items with us when we come down from the states or with our kids and guests when they visit. It is a challenge though. I will say that more and more is becoming available in Belize and sometimes I am really surprised that I can find some things. Cost and sometimes quality is somewhat of an issue though.

On the Island you have Hummingbird, Wings, Caye Supply and many other stores where you can find some of the items you will need.
Mirabs, Benny's, and a whole host of other big stores in Belize City will have items you want and they will arrange shipment out here. I had a neighbor come down and outfit her whole place in two weeks from a few stores in Belize City. I couldn't believe it. Mirabs supplied most of her furniture and sent some men with the furniture to set it all up. She asked for the store owner or manager I can't remember and bought most of her furniture from them. I have no idea on cost on that arrangement. Now my wife and I? Well let's say we don't move that fast and it took much longer.

Most stores will give you some kind of a discount both on the Island and in the city but you must ask. Good luck. I don't think I would want to suffer through that adventure again but we did have a few laughs. Shopping, like most men, is not my thing. sick

Good Luck

PS In addition there are plently of furniture builders who will make most anything for you if you have a picture or a plan out of wood. Just ask around for them. Because of the economy the last few years there are a few less on the Island but there are some and there are more on the main land.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
T
T
For TV's you should shop around here on the island. Don't be affraid to ask for a better price. In the city the best prices on TV's are going to be at Benny's and Courts.

For Furniture the above post says it all.

I saw flat panels at SP Hardware in San Pedro, next to Caribbean Villas.

G
G
Knowing the prices and availability of things here, I would suggest the TV and Tempurpedic are the two things you should bring. Everything else, you can get at the stores ragman mentioned. We brought our Tempurpedic, and never have seen one available here. After having a TV stolen we shopped around and found the prices are four times or more higher. It was easy and cheap to bring a small flat screen from the States on the plane.
I don't know you are really helping anyone locally by buying these things here. But you really do help if you buy Belizean made goods. Otherwise you are just buying Chinese, and in the case of TVs, Mexican goods, and paying for customs and duty. Who knows where that money goes?

JZB Offline
Really good mattresses are very hard to find here and duties are supposedly very high. I recently bought an imitation Tempurpedic at Mirab Furniture as they don't have the real brand. It was the most expensive piece of foam I ever bought. wink

They do sell flat screen TVs at most hardware stores and most stores in Belize City that sell household goods. They are roughly three times the price of what you can purchase it for in the US. Most of the TVs on the island are of name brands that I never heard of and therefore wouldn't trust. Shipping in a TV will save you a few bucks in the long run but you need to remember that if it arrives broken, you are SOL.

BZ4me Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you all for your quick responds. You have made some of my decisions on what to ship much easier. You all have been so helpful I wonder if you would be so kind as to giving me your advise on who to use as a shipping company from CO to AC? I'm being over whelmed with shipping companies telling me one thing and finding out it isn't true. I know I will need a trucking company to get my items to TX but it would be great if I could count on one to truck all the way and load it on the ship.

I use these guys from LA California. to Belize City

FREIGHT TO BELIZE-MONTHLY
Bluefield-prod.com FREIGHT TO BELIZE-MONTHLY 5841 S.San Pedro Street Unit G Los Angeles Ca. 90003 Office Ph#: 323-255-9558 Fax #:323-255-8942 Warehouse: 323-231-3030

http://www.bluefield-prod.com

email: [email protected]

"But WHY's the rum gone?

www.wadethegringo.com
Sam's in Chetumal is only a boat ride away. A friend got one there for less than half of what it costs here.

P
P
Originally Posted by wade the gringo
I use these guys from LA California. to Belize City

FREIGHT TO BELIZE-MONTHLY
Bluefield-prod.com FREIGHT TO BELIZE-MONTHLY 5841 S.San Pedro Street Unit G Los Angeles Ca. 90003 Office Ph#: 323-255-9558 Fax #:323-255-8942 Warehouse: 323-231-3030

http://www.bluefield-prod.com

email: [email protected]

I highly recommend Bluefield as well. I live close relatively speaking so I have always taken stuff in to be shipped. But the majority of their business is dropshipped to Bluefield from customers all over the US.

Janice

Last edited by PSSunshinegal; 03/05/12 01:49 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 250 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.