Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#432528 - 03/09/12 05:13 PM water taxi opinions?
dawg Offline
I read something about problems with the water taxis such as, they take longer than they used to to save gas. Also, they may be very crowded and uncomfortable, etc. I looked up the Tropic Ferry and it sounds pretty nice. We are looking for round trip from the Belize airport to San Pedro. We are staying at the Conch Shell Inn which is right by the boat dock, we understand. I need to hear from the experts. 14 sleeps away. Dawg

#432533 - 03/09/12 06:14 PM Re: water taxi opinions? [Re: dawg]
ron Offline
The other day I went by water taxi from Caye Caulker to San Padro and there were less then 20 people on it. I've also been on the water taxi when it was completely full. Don't think you can predict how full any boat might be although those leaving later in the afternoon from Belize City tend to be crowded with people going home, tourist coming and school kids coming home. I don't think the taxi's are going any slower then they used to.

#432647 - 03/10/12 06:20 PM Re: water taxi opinions? [Re: dawg]
suecate Offline
What is the cost of the taxi from the airport? If you have luggage is it a problem

#432653 - 03/10/12 07:17 PM Re: water taxi opinions? [Re: suecate]
Surendra Offline
Between 25-30 BZ. Michael is the taxi driver I use. He has a Montero Sport which is a SUV with lots of luggage space. His number is 6280117.

#432723 - 03/11/12 06:50 PM Re: water taxi opinions? [Re: Surendra]
Phil Offline
Originally Posted By: Surendra
Between 25-30 BZ. Michael is the taxi driver I use. He has a Montero Sport which is a SUV with lots of luggage space. His number is 6280117.

Intl - Bz City for this? Sure it isn't US$

#432773 - 03/12/12 01:14 PM Re: water taxi opinions? [Re: dawg]
Diane Campbell Offline
My experience is that the taxi from International to Belize City is 50-60 Bz / 25-30 US.

#432776 - 03/12/12 01:20 PM Re: water taxi opinions? [Re: dawg]
Surendra Offline
I get BZ and US mixed up all the time , it is $25-$30 US. My apology.

Surendra

#432984 - 03/14/12 10:58 PM Re: water taxi opinions? [Re: dawg]
JeanH Offline
You can fly right from BZE for close to the same price as Tropic Ferry. In a fraction the time.

#432992 - 03/15/12 12:03 AM Re: water taxi opinions? [Re: dawg]
ragman Offline
dawg, I have traveled by water taxi, and plane many times. Now you mentioned Tropic Ferry which is a relatively new service. It is my understanding that included in the price they will meet you at the airport and bring you to their boat which is only a few miles away from the airport. Luggage is no problem at all and it will be handled by them. They will deliver you to your dock in just over an hour. There is no other cost other than the $125USD price per person round trip. No taxiís or other transportation is needed if your resort is located near a dock.

If you have someone with you that doesn't like small planes or if you have a pet with you this could be very appealing. If you just want to get to the Island in a little different way this could be it. Also there is no problem at present with being over crowded. This service is not used by the locals so much so there will probably be very few on the boat with you which is 41' long. It is not the cheap alternative that the regular water taxi is and it is tailored to tourist. The time difference between the plane and Tropic Ferry depends on your timing of course. The plane could get you there a little sooner or about the same to your resort depending on timing.

I don't think there is a bad decision here. Of course if you are very unlucky and the weather is really brutal it is a case of would you like to be in the air or on the water? Enjoy your trip.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
4 registered (ScubaLdy, Chica Blanca, JED, 1 invisible), 43 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,015 Topics
462,193 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.