Prime Minister Dean Barrow took the oath this morning for a second term of office. The ceremonies were brief at Belize House in Belmopan where the Governor General Sir Colville Young administered the oath. The GG, in offering congratulations, told the Prime Minister that his victory was not for the party but for Belize. The prime Minister was accompanied by immediate family members, including his wife, Kim Simpliss, his three children and his sister.

Dean Barrow

Dean Barrow

I Dean Oliver Barrow do swear that I will bear true faith and allegiance to Belize and will uphold the constitution and the law and that I will conscientiously impartially and to the best of my ability, discharge my duties as the Prime Minister of Belize and do right to all manner of people without fear or favor, affection or ill will so help me God.

Colville Young

Sir Colville Young, Governor General of Belize

I want to congratulate you and your party for your victory. I trust it will be a victory, not for the party but for Belize and that the new term will be as fruitful for the prosperity and well being of Belize as I believe the former term has been. Once again, my congratulations to you and your team of the United Democratic Party.

After the extended holiday weekend, the Prime Minister will be announcing the configuration of the new Cabinet. By way of the Constitution, only eleven of the seventeen elected representatives will make it to Cabinet; so the prime minister says he will be appointing four others via the senate. Who will make the cut? It is expected that the Deputy Prime Minister, Gaspar Vega, who is the only one to be reelected in the Orange Walk district will remain as DPM and likely keep the portfolio of Minister of Natural Resources. As well, the minister of tourism, Manuel Heredia is a strong contender to remain in that ministry. The rest of the Cabinet will likely include a mix of other senior members along with newly elected representatives. On Tuesday, the new Cabinet members are expected to also take the oath of office. The House of Representatives is expected to be convened soon enough for the presentation of the budget for the next financial year, which begins on April first, 2012.

Channel 5