Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#43284 - 08/22/01 08:45 PM seagrass
Seattle-ite Offline
I'm going to be at Banana Beach for the first weeks of September, but I've heard alot of conflicting reports about it on this message board. Some people make it sound like it's the worst thing on a beach since beached whales, and other people make it sound like it's no big deal. How bad IS it?

Does it make swimming impossible? Does it wrap around your ankles so bad that you can barely walk? Or is it just a very slight annoyance that will only bother you if you let it?

Any thoughts?
Muchos Gracias <--- (that's about the only Spanish I know...)

#43285 - 08/22/01 09:05 PM Re: seagrass
robertsdr Offline
This Seattle native just returned from a wonderful wake and bake to AC. The seagrass is no problema.

#43286 - 08/22/01 10:25 PM Re: seagrass
jamiej Offline
We have just returned from 2 weeks in belize, 12 days in A/C. the beaches were clean, beautiful and very quiet. the water temp was 87degrees but the sea grass was a problem for us. Victoria house seemed to be the only property where you could snorkel in a small area off the beach. we stayed at Banyon Bay and had to take a boat out to snorkel. North of San Pedro at Jounrneys End people were taking kayaks out to the reef to snorkel. Our 12 year old wouldn't snorkel in the sea grass and it was $20 each time he went to the marine reserve and shark alley. The snorkelling off the beach was a big plus in our choice of A/C and Cozumel and Maui was better snorkelling. My husband said diving was better in Cozumel,and visibility was about 80 feeet in A/C

#43287 - 08/22/01 11:36 PM Re: seagrass
Bobber Offline
Must be personal preference. Since there isn't a lot of structure (other than the piers) for sheltering wildlife right off the beach, might I suggest in the future to put on your mask and snorkel and cruise over the grass and keep your eyes open. You might just be very surprised at what you see. Likewise if you cruise that open stretch of beach north of the cut, or the southern stretches where nobody lives regularly. Flip over a few coconut husks. There is a lot of good stuff that just doesn't jump out at you, but is there if you look. Well, there may even be a few things that will jump out at you, but what the heck. To each his own.

#43288 - 08/23/01 02:15 AM Re: seagrass
BillandJeanne Offline
We went on our beach picnic I had a blast with the seagrass. Tons of crabs live in it, and as you walk through, they scurry about. Seagrass is better than regular tall grass - no mosquitos.
The only beach problem I had was on the secluded part of AC that didn't have resorts, there was a lot of trash washed up. But to me the seagrass is no problem.

#43289 - 08/23/01 02:24 AM Re: seagrass
SHE-DEVIL Offline
Ah the bothersome sea grass. Sea grass gives me the heebee geebees. I'm sure it has to do with almost drowning on a beach in Puerto Rico when I was a young girl. (sigh) Anyway, the sea grass did bother me the first few times I went in the water, but after that I became accustomed to it. You can see a lot of little fish and other interesting marine life just by swimming along the edges. The locals rake up any grass that gets left with the tides so the beaches stay relatively clean. We went swimming just off the dock at Seven Seas and I had no squimish reactions like I usually do. Most of the local children swim just off the beach and open dock areas so just grab some snorkel gear jump in and make it work.

#43290 - 08/23/01 01:57 PM Re: seagrass
Debbie Offline
MANY resort have docks. Almost all of the docks I saw went out past the sea grass to water deep enough to avoid it. It was no problem at all. Many of these same resorts sink artificial reefs just off the end of the docks, so you can snorkel and see all kinds of cool stuff. The sea grass does not wrap around your ankles. It's not really long enough to do that. The above posts are also correct about there being really cool stuff in the sea grass. I've heard many reports of sea horses! Although I wasn't lucky enough to see one. When the fisherman come in and clean their fish, in some areas, the sting rays come right up to the shore to take advantage of the discarded "stuff". YOu can sit on the dock and watch them. They're beautiful. All in all, the sea grass should pose no problem. There are ways to avoid it.
Debbie

#43291 - 08/23/01 07:25 PM Re: seagrass
Seattle-ite Offline
Thanks to everyone for their replies!

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 44 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,675 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,058 Topics
462,302 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.