Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
retired Offline OP
OP Offline
R
We will be needing 3-4 people to be employed with this NEW venture..We will be needing one (1) mechanic to do PM'S and overall maintenence."Tools Provided"There will be a total of 12 new top of the line Yamaha's personal water craft..We will also be interviewing for counter help,sales,and helping with the rentals.It will be a high paced,high energy place for your new career..The rental pricing will be 50% lower than what is currently here.It will be busy.Please send a private message.We will be interviewing the 2nd week of April..COMPLETE CONFIDENTIALLY WILL BE AFFORDED!!

Last edited by retired; 03/13/12 05:45 PM.
Who is taking bets on this one????

R
retired Offline OP
OP Offline
R
NEVER bet against the house!! The PWC will be operated beyond the reef with supervision to control the noise pollution on Ambergris Caye.We will be paying tax's on ALL the rental's,not just a few..We will be stewards of San Pedro and other areas as well..The owner will be heavily involved in Charities,Fund raising,etc.

Last edited by retired; 03/13/12 06:26 PM.
S
S
Hey dabunk...give 'em a break!

B
B
Good luck to you. Your pricing sounds much better than the current rate. Where will you be located? Just curious, you said you will operate beyond the reef, is that safe for a jet ski?

Yay, if the noise is far away from the island I don't object. I am sure that they will follow safety rules and not operate during small craft warnings. Keep the reef healthy and good luck.

R
retired Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thank You all for your kind and supportive comments..We will be located right in town in San Pedro..All of the safety rules will be adhered to..I guarantee that!

S
S
Sent you a PM.

PWC operated beyond the reef. laugh How many days in the year does one think the sea is conducive for that? You talk about "an accident waiting to happen". That idea is irresponsible, a danger to unknowing tourists and should not be allowed. It takes a skilled boat captain just to navigate thru the cuts on many days let alone a tourist on a PWC. Why have licensing requirements for boat captains if tourists are allowed to opperate water craft in these waters? This is a barrier reef system with its own challenges and dangers, not a lake somewhere.
Where is the Tour Guide Association on this?

I've been waiting for someone to finally say it. When I think of how many days we've had to sit out from diving, how on earth could the PWCs be outside the reef?

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

As I said!!!

S
S
There is a sport using PWC's that will go in very high seas to jump waves, it is fun to go outside the reef, I have done it and know of others that have done the same, in some ways it is safer outside the reef because there is less boat traffic and tourist that like to swim too far of shore. Give them a break, anything that will make the tourist stay here more enjoyable should be encourage, not put down before all the facts are known.

Mcplus, as a few are aware, there is the adventure of 'extreme PWCrafting', and there are experts at dropping/plucking surfers from the waves. How many tourists do you think will come and stay on San Pedro, just to take advantage of this extreme sport? Would you put just anyone with a driver's licence on your PWC, outside the reef?

I dunno, yes, perhaps it is too early to be making judgements on how this business will go. With imagination open, what shall we see? A bunch of cowboy tourists being boated outside the reef and then set upon the bucking PWC's in a float surrounded corral. Yeeehaaaaaw!

I have been informed that my views are inconsistent with the master plan for AC. We have ATVs roaring over the island and in an effort to provide everything for every tourist, jet skies roaring over the sea is a must. It was pointed out to me that the additional sounds of the jet skies will enhance the diving experience by providing the extra sounds needed to help eliminate the complaints of some divers that diving in Belize is too quiet with only the sound of bubbles.
Therefore, after being further enlightened, I commend this venture as one more effort to keep Belize from being unique in offering ecotourism, diving and fishing. After all, if Belize does not actively compete with all other tourists destinations in offering everything to everyone, it will surely not survive in this industry.
After all, where would the country be without the infusion of these people coming to start these businesses and then supporting the local charities and fund raisers? Blessed are we and ever grateful.

If you've rescued people who did risky things they were warned about and then listened to them complain about the results .....
Probably you are either the parent of a teenager or you are a long-term resident of Ambergris Caye.

Seriously ....... PWC outside the reef is one thing - but getting back inside the reef is another. Kinda like flying - it's the landings that can kill you.

I would like to add that Retired sounds like a very nice person, and San Pedro benefits greatly by the presence of good people. We just want to see nice people stay safe and not go broke. Sometimes we sound impatient and cynical when we dish out advice, but generally speaking this advice comes from a sincere concern for all involved.

PS: another advantage to these type ventures is it will keep Belize in the forefront of Herman Wouk's sequel. grin

Well said Diane. Though some of us sound like meanies, it is probably because we don't want anyone hurt, and that also includes the good people that want to start business' or in this case, a PWC business.

I'm trying to think of something positive...serious ......hummm.........uaaaa........hummmmmmmmmmm.
Well i guess not!
nevermind.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Retired, I'm trying to be real. This is a tough business to take on, there are so many obstacles for any kinda business on the water and the jet ski business has a long history of crash and burn here on the island. Don't ruin your retirement, ditch this idea fast and try something different.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
S
S
Just a word of advice to review the boat captain's license requirements for boat captains / operating motorized watercraft in Belize. I can tell you that the mini speedboat business (Funtasea located on the FIDO's dock) has operated under very strict guidelines (distance requirements from the licensed tour guide boat, speed limits, path approvals, driver age, etc) by the coast guard and has authorization to allow tourists to drive their own boats for the past 4-5 years.

That being said, I am not clear how the jet ski's business or your watersports business would be interpreted by the coast guard relative to safety, but I would hope it would be enforced similarly.

Let's take a positive look at this and maybe suggest ways that it could be safe and sucessful. Why not make this an activity on the back side of the island in the lagoon? This is an area that is very under utilized.
Just for the sake of information - the pacific coast of the USA makes outside the reef on its roughest days - look like a lake.
AND it is COLD! At least when you take a spill here it feels good.

My daughter raced pwc in the Pacific Ocean for years and I don't remember hearing of any disasters.
The other thing to note is the tides. If you know your tides you can travel over the reef relatively dry - there is nothing like flying in on one big wave when the tide is with you.

Just do your research well and good luck.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Are there not crocs in the lagoon? I have avoided Kayaking back there for that reason. OR maybe they don't eat people on motorized PWC....

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com
This is my problem with Belize trying to be everything for everybody and foreigners trying to find a way to live here and make a living. Belize has established itself as a premier flats fishing destination. The last thing it needs is PWC roaring over the flats. frown
Belize has spent time and money establishing it as a ecotourism, diving and fishing destination.
Look at the problems PWC have presented where they have become popular and the resulting laws and regulations placed on them to control their use. If you want to play on a PWC, go to a water world somewhere else.

Last edited by bywarren; 03/22/12 09:44 AM.
R
R
What about Captains Licenses to operate a powered vessel?, I thought the rule was you had to have(in your possession while operating a powered craft)a BPA Boat Masters License. The requirements for that are proof that you own property, have a business, or are a resident or citizen. Are the rules different than this?

C
C
Licensing is the easiest thing to navigate. Making a profit will be the challenge. I love jet skis and would only suggest doing a little research in similar destinations. Cancun immediately comes to mind as I appreciate how they use the lagoon. It's calm and offer much less sea grass. Something to consider. They do have a few crocodiles in the lagoon as they do in the sea, and the sea has sharks. So? I swim in the lagoon, people fish in it, kayak in it, etc. Same thing in Cancun, just don't feed them. When I rent a jet ski, I head right back for the lagoon or the bay, awesome riding, less boats, water like glass, fun!

But those infernal machines shatter people's peaceful existence! And the noise really carries across and around the lagoons.

Skis make less noise than boats and planes and even those monster Polaris machines that are getting more popular with the expats, You can here them things coming from a mile away.

If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.
A bullet fired,cannot be called back.
A.C.G.C.
Yeah, I don't like those noises either!

The noise from the gas-powered Polaris machines is HORRIBLE. And there is a motor bike up our way that is even worse (not you Elbert) and goes fast enough to flatten dogs and kids with one easy pass. The drivers must have lost their hearing and their senses long ago.

Today i saw a brand new vehicle in town that looked like a dune buggy, what the hell is the traffic dept thinking when they let such types of vehicle on the island, it's wheel base is about twice the width of a golf cart. I think he will have trouble going through town with that thing. It is time for a new traffic office they have obviously lost their minds.

If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.
A bullet fired,cannot be called back.
A.C.G.C.
B
B
I agree the noise is one thing but to drive em like a fool
is the real problem,(be respectful) and no one notices really.
The jet ski thing weelll its hear to stay but having a boundry
and speed limit within 100 yards from shore has to be inforced and of coarse respect above all,ALWAYS

D
D
I think the cynical nature of the participants of this board is both refreshing and confusing. But nevertheless, I would like to take advantage of the naysayers for some quick advice.

My husband and I would like to start a small business there in San Pedro and are looking for advice on what is needed. Our experiences range from parole officer, animal control officer, juvenile tracker, armed K9 security to non-profit administration, corporate compliance, Chief of Security in corrections, and nearly everything in between. Any suggestions?

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Doglady, I just pm'd you

D
D
I'm curious, did this business ever get going? What is their time frame if they are not up and running yet?

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
I am curious, did this business ever come to AC?

How is it doing?

What type of rentals are available?

Words have power. Speak it into existence.
I'm curious too. Didn't see anyone out on a jetski while I was there but know someone currently visiting that went jetskiing just the other day.

R
R
Theres jet skis for rent just opposite Wayo's bar

Last edited by robvee; 04/17/13 05:09 AM.
I have definitely seen jet skis running around so there must be at least one place renting them out.

Thanks gang. Wonder if it is the original poster's business?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.